Barnes & Noble is looking for people with vision and energy to help us in our quest to change the future of reading. We are the world's largest bookseller and one of the world's fastest growing digital media and consumer technology companies with annual revenues near $7 billion.
Barnes & Noble stores average 25,000 square feet, carrying up to 200,000 titles, and servicing tens of millions of customers weekly. The stores feature the best service, depth of selection and comfortable settings, including lounge chairs and reading tables. Open seven days a week, the stores have evolved to become a place for consumers to learn about digital reading and NOOK, as well as destinations for the widest selection of educational Toys & Games with the roll-out of the new Toys & Games departments. The company is also the leading seller of most popular magazine titles, and through its cafes sells more Starbucks coffee than anyone other than Starbucks themselves.
We are investing in all of our business initiatives, so the opportunities to make an impact have never been greater.
As an Assistant Store Manager (ASM), you are responsible for the daily operations of the store, delegating and performing duties as the business demands ensuring consistency with our bookselling culture, world-class customer service focus, digital initiatives, operating and merchandising standards. You foster an employee-centric environment and focus booksellers on maximizing sales and productivity through the delivery of our four core service principles. You play an integral role in the selection, evaluation, and development of booksellers, ensuring a talent bench which reflects the communities we serve.
- Manage and execute the daily operations of the store in partnership with the store manager and the management team; execute e-Planner to standard; plan and assign work to optimize payroll budget (SPH); customize, communicate, delegate, perform, and follow up on all tasks as the business demands.
- Drive sales by coaching and counseling the store team to deliver the four core service principles: put the book in the customer's hand, offer to order, offer the Member program, and fast cashiering.
- Deliver positive financial results through the efficient execution of initiatives; use financial reports to identify additional sales, local store opportunities and tailor merchandise selection.
- Understand and execute Integrated Store Operations (ISO) standards.
- Coach and communicate with the store team about all our products and services, enthusiastically model selling behavior, share technical knowledge, and provide recommendations about ways to connect our customers with the right solutions or products.
- Select, interview, and recommend the hiring of new booksellers; oversee and monitor the new hire orientation and training process, ensuring a smooth acclimation to the store and our bookselling culture, in partnership with the store manager.
- Prepare and deliver performance reviews to booksellers; coach and counsel them on performance issues in partnership with the store manager.
- Establish a community relations network with the store manager to help drive institutional sales and bookfairs, and work with the community relations manager to execute scheduled store events.
- Protect company assets by assisting in the management of internal and external shrink.
- Act with integrity and trust, promoting our bookselling culture and core values.
- Maintain a calm demeanor and manage issues professionally and according to store operating and company standards, setting a positive example.
- Resolve customer complaints in accordance with all operational guidelines, surfacing issues to the store manager when necessary.
- Act as the manager on duty, or in the absence of the store manager, to open and close the store; oversee general store operations and ensure compliance with all standards of operation and performance; supervise booksellers; identify, prioritize, and assign tasks by appropriately matching bookseller skills with store needs; partner with sales audit and IT on issues requiring immediate attention; perform tasks based on the demands of the business; react immediately and appropriately to employee, customer, facility or store issues.
- You identify opportunities to drive sales by analyzing the competition.
- You clearly and comfortably assign work and provide focused direction to booksellers, while managing and completing multiple projects to ensure the proper execution of the workload.
- You are a problem solver who can accurately assess situations, use feedback to customize solutions, and communicate your plans to your store team and partners.
- You are able to learn under changing conditions, find solutions to issues in any situation, and effectively cope with change and the unexpected.
- You are able to anticipate the impact of your actions, ensuring integrity in your interactions with others.
- You help to select the right people, training them and accurately assessing their skills in partnership with your store manager.
- You foster a fair and equitable workplace, encouraging an environment in which team members can express their concerns and ideas.
- You coach others by providing feedback, fostering open dialogue and listening effectively.
- You easily relate to people, building rapport and collaborative relationships.
- You comply at all times with the Standards, Policies, and Code of Business Conduct and Ethics set out in the Bookseller Handbook.
- You should have at least three years of retail management experience.
- You should have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- You are expected to work a majority of your time managing the store, including but not limited to cashwrap, cafe, receiving and the selling floor, which requires physical activity.
- Our stores are open daily, which requires early morning, evening, weekend and holiday availability.
Barnes and Noble is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Barnes & Noble - 16 months ago
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. We...