Position is in Southlake area of Fort Worth TX.
Senior Storage Engineer performs Tier 3 engineering functions in the storage environment. Work includes new OS and/or platform certification, first article builds, operating system/firmware upgrades, patching, security hardening, presenting storage to servers, installation automation, and installation of third party software. Responsibilities also include working with other AIGGS groups, performance troubleshooting, coordination of activities with customers, working with vendors, and resource management of storage environments. Weekend and night coverage required when needed.
Related responsibilities typically include the following:
• Configure and implement new and existing operating systems and applications software.
• Research new products and technologies to improve system performance.
• Work with vendors to develop/maintain current standards of performance or troubleshoot issues.
• Ensure adherence to procedures and processes for hardware, software, and applications.
• Interact with multiple business units in deployment of new hardware.
• Develop, modify, maintain, improve, and troubleshoot existing systems.
• Perform hardware and software recovery.
• Perform operational turnover on all system templates.
• Work with business clients to evaluate, streamline, and improve current systems, processes, and workflow.
• Develop business case documentation.
• Develop purchase requests and supporting documentation.
• Work with vendors and business support teams to install new systems.
• Analyze and resolve operating systems and applications issues on various systems.
• Develop troubleshooting tools to allow Systems Administrators to support products when they are put into production.
• Generate and maintain reports and documentation.
• Research and evaluate new technologies, products, and services, and recommend acquisitions and modifications as they relate to client application needs.
• Review system performance measurement tools and prepare exception reports for management review.
Perform other related duties as assigned or required.
- 5+ years experience in Storage Engineering and implementation experience in a medium to large telecom and/or open systems environment performing installation, configuration, and troubleshooting duties.
- Expert experience working with Netapp and EMC storage vendors to configure and optimize storage hardware.
- Storage Lifecycle Management
- In Depth knowledge of SAN and Vfiler technology implementation, system administration troubleshooting, Boot From SAN, Vmware 3.x and Vsphere 4/5, Trouble shooting and root cause analysis skills, Disaster Recovery.
- SuSE and RedHat Linux experience is a strong plus
- 3+ years experience in VMWARE ESX server
- Experience in software upgrades and patch process
- Experience in Avamar and Legato Networker
- BMC Blade logic product experience preferred
- Ability to develop automation process using UNIX and Windows shell/batch scripting languages preferred
- Should have strong troubleshooting skills and be able to work independently
- Ability to work with EMC and Hitachi storage
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals: TCP/IP, file transfer and secure file transfer protocols, IIS,
- Familiar with most aspects of systems/software administration, such as: system installation and configuration, security levels and permissions, installation of third-party software, backup systems, etc.
- Familiar knowledge of: a mainframe and/or UNIX/Linux/AIX; NT, Windows, VMWARE and/or AS/400 -based operating system; inter-process communication, devices and drives, file system concepts
- Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing environment concepts; basic routing concepts
- Interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Process Oriented
- Ability to write purchase justifications
- Training and presentation skills
American International Group - 13 months ago
Even to this day American International Group (AIG) is one of the world's largest insurance firms. While it held the spotlight...