New York City Justice Corps is a project to reconnect court-involved young people, 18-24, with their community through case management, education, community benefit projects, internships, and other activities during a six-month intensive services period, followed by six months of aftercare. The goal of the program is to provide participants in CD 12 with the skills, motivation, and connections they need to meet their long-term education and career goals and avoid future justice system involvement.
The College Prep teacher supports this goal by providing high-quality academic instruction as well as creating individualized education plans. The Part time College Prep teacher will work with CASES Queens Justice Corps participants who have earned a high school diploma or its equivalent and wish to pursue college. The college preparation course will cover both Language Arts and Math. Classes should also incorporate college information in order to help students make informed decisions about their post secondary plan. In addition to teaching class, the College Preparation teacher will also work with students to create individualized college plans. This position is located in Jamaica, Queens.
- Teach College Preparation classes Monday – Thursday from 10:00am-1:00pm;
- Create appropriate curricula and lesson plans for college preparation classes
- Assist participants with admission and financial aid applications;
- Develop individualized success plans for each student;
- Enter data into the program database including but not limited to progress notes and attendance
- Collaborate with other program staff and participate in staff meetings to share information regarding participant progress.
- Minimum of college degree, advanced degree preferred;
- Familiarity with skills needed to be successful in a post secondary program
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, engage and teach a diverse group of young people
- Experience with teaching Math at or above the secondary level as well as Language Arts content, ideally in a post secondary setting
- Understanding of the sensitivity to the issues and obstacles facing young people in the criminal justice system.
This job entails an 18 hour/week work commitment including availability to teach classes Monday-Thursday from 10:00am-1:00pm.
Indeed - 10 months ago
Case IH is a global leader in agricultural equipment, committed to collaborating with its customers to develop the most powerful,...