Director, Product Management
Spirent Communications is where the world’s leading communications companies turn when they need to accelerate their time-to-market for next-generation communication systems. In fact, every significant industry test in the last six years has used Spirent's test systems as the benchmark. We are continually recognized by customers, industry, press, and technology associations for our innovative thinking and our ground-breaking products. The communications market has untapped potential. The boundaries of how fast, far, and accurately voice and data can be transmitted have yet to be reached, or even defined. Spirent solutions are paving the way for tomorrow’s communications.
The atmosphere at Spirent is innovative, creative, and technically challenging. We are always looking for new employees with exceptional abilities, vision, and commitment levels to join our team.
If you want to work with truly bright and motivated people—and be a part of an industry-leading company that's helping to revolutionize communications technologies—this is your opportunity. Our focus on employee satisfaction stems from a core belief that market-leading products start with one thing: market-leading people. At Spirent, we offer more than jobs, we offer unique career opportunities. We can do this because we are large enough to encompass a breadth of possibilities, while being small enough for you to be noticed and recognized. Are you innovative enough to work at Spirent?
This is an opportunity to champion a product line that enables next-generation wireless communication technologies, such as UMTS, LTE, 802.11, and MIMO to be developed and evaluated in the lab, instead of the field. Used by the world’s leading technology developers, network equipment manufacturers, mobile device manufacturers and service providers, Spirent’s wireless channel emulation products address the needs of a market experiencing double-digit growth.
The Director of Product Management leads a team of Product Managers and Applications Specialists. This role oversees market research, monitors competitive activity, and identifies market needs to develop and execute product line business plans. The Director is responsible for planning, staffing, budgeting, and managing expense priorities of product management activities. Daily collaboration occurs with Product Development, Product Marketing, Sales, and Supply Chain functions. A proven track record of working with product development to bring successful, innovative products to market is required.
This senior position works in conjunction with other senior leaders to establish business unit objectives and strategies.
• Market Champion: Overall responsibility for making the product line successful.
• Personnel Management: Manage Product Managers and Application Specialists.
• Market Research and Collection of Customer Requirements: Collects and coordinates market requirements from internal and external customers. Acts as a consultant to Product Managers in prioritizing features and resource allocation within the market segment. Develops and reviews ROI calculations
• Business Plans: Develops annual sales forecast for market by product line as well as key business activities required to meet target business objectives. Within product line, has overall control of planning, staffing, budgeting, and managing expense priorities of product management activities.
• Product Definition & Requirements Specification: Reviews product definitions of new products and/or major product enhancements. Works with Product Managers to prioritize product roadmaps and resolves priority conflicts between product lines.
• Strategic Relationship Development: Actively seeks out and establishes relationships with strategic customers and vendors to improve product positioning, accelerate product launch, or to act as a catalyst for new product opportunities. When required, owns the execution of MoU's or contractual partnership agreements.
• Standards Participation: Influences industry standards, through the management of direct team members, to create a competitive advantage.
• Product Positioning & Competitive Analysis: Performs competitive analysis on current or potential market segments. Reviews and fine tunes product positioning developed by Product Managers within the market segment.
• Product Pricing Strategy: Acts as a consultant to Product Managers developing their pricing strategies. Responsible for assuring pricing strategy and margin objectives are consistent across the market segment. Approves all product pricing.
• Product Marketing & Sales Collateral Development: Reviews sales and marketing collateral to ensure product value proposition and messages are clear. Responsible for ensuring that product messages are consistent across product. Works with Product Marketing to supports tradeshows and other marketing events.
• Sales Support & Development: Works with sales leaders to execute strategic account plans. Approves discounts. When necessary, plans a key role in initial account development at potential new strategic customers.
• A BS degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering. An MS degree/MBA is highly preferred. An advanced degree or certification in management is also preferred.
• The successful candidate must have a minimum of 5 years of product management experience and 5 years of experience at a Director level leadership position.
• The successful candidate must have industry experience in either RF and/or Wireless
• Ability to travel world-wide on average 25% of time with peaks up to 50%.
• Proven people leadership and development skills in managing a team of technical staff.
• Proven to work cross functionally with Sales, Product Development, Customer Support and Executive leadership team.
• Responsibility for budgeting, allocation of resources, capital acquisition, managing fiscally sound department expenses.
• Experience with Excel, Word, PowerPoint is a must.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Strong decision making ability.
Spirent Communications - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard