Title: Editorial Officer
Department: Customer Services, Market Development & Public Affairs
Post Date: 12/28/2012
Close Date: 01/11/2013
Hay Point Evaluation: 438
2012 Salary Range: Minimum: $57,918/Midpoint: $72,397
Position Classification: Non-Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Senior Editorial Officer
This is a Non-Represented Position.
Please note that this position has been designated as a "Policy Maker," pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
The Editorial Officer is a member of, and supports, the Customer Correspondence Unit through letter writing, responding to customer e-mails, social media and comment cards, and related research. The position also supports editorial projects in Public Affairs including publications such as Along the Track and Train Talk, other customer and employee communications, including press releases, writing, proofreading, editing and research. The Editorial Officer may also be asked to provide support in the Public Information Office.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Support Customer Correspondence Unit through letter writing, response to Customer Comment Cards and social media comments on Facebook, etc., related research. Field customer telephone complaints.
- Support conception and production of communications materials.
- Support production of presentation and written communications from other departments.
- Related Public Affairs duties, including presence at major events, emergency headquarters staff duty, represent director or assistant director in company activities outside department.
- Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- Perform other assignments as requested by senior management.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Communications or related field required. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval.
- Must possess a minimum of three years of related editorial or other related experience.
- Must possess organizational and conceptual skills for responding to customer inquiries and information production requirements quickly, accurately, and in conjunction with company policies. Broad sense of the logistics and inter-relationships of campaign administration, coordinated ideas, materials, themes, and media.
- Must possess strong, demonstrated writing, verbal and editing skills, and a pleasant telephone and person-to-person demeanor.
- Must possess excellent writing and editing skills acquired through degree or experience in journalism, communications, public relations, advertising, etc.
- Must possess strong interpersonal, human relations and communication skills.
- Must possess excellent interviewing skills for both gathering information internally and eliciting it from the public.
- Must possess strong PC skills, including experience with Microsoft Office applications and ability to utilize multiple social media.
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e. physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://portal.mtabsc.info/psp/PXPRD/EXTRANET/PAEXT/h/?tab=DEFAULT, sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to Job Listings (Internal).
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.
MTA - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard