Integrate, make available, and develop specialist knowledge in a wide expertise area in order to solve problems in projects and assignments. Generates new concepts and innovations in the expertise areas. Supervises and absorbs externally generated knowledge within DSM. Participates in projects with a convincing impact and initiates long-term developments using specialized area expertise. Has the ability to develop and refine simple physical models that predict product behaviour in an application process or applied state.
- The primary responsibility of this position will be to conduct novel synthesis and product development research to support the growth of our global Functional Materials business, including the Fiber Optic Materials and SOMOS segments. The focus will be on developing differentiated, specialty oligomers and polymers for photopolymer, thermoset, and thermoplastic applications. The successful candidate will have an aptitude and interest in building an understanding of how fundamentals of polymer science translate into practical product properties.
- Conducts work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, adaptation and modification of standard techniques, processes and criteria; refers to knowledge of precedents in the speciality area and principles and practices in related specialty.
- Devises new approaches to problems encountered; works within conventional practices, but may incorporate complex features, receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems.
- Interprets data, points out trends and provides recommendations for future work.
- Periodically prepares research reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends; gives presentations for both internal and external customers.
- Plan, schedule, conduct or coordinate detailed phases of work for a part of a major project of moderate scope.
- May participate in customer meetings and perform delegated experiments in an efficient fashion.
- Responsible for generation of experimental strategies, organization, and analysis of generated data.
- Maintains quality by establishing and enforcing organizational standards
- Maintains safe and clean work environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations, and good manufacturing practices.
- Contributes to team efforts by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Documents and links all experiments in a neat and organized fashion within the lab notebooks.
- May participate on Competency Teams.
- Effectively leads projects through project management process.
Ph.D with 0-5 years experience, or Masters Degree with more than 5 years of previous experience. Requirements:
Demonstrated skills and competencies:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science or related field
- Organic synthesis expertise, preferably with experience in both condensation and addition polymer chemistry.
- Experience with photopolymerization would be a plus.
- 0-5 year experience in industrial R&D
- Attention to laboratory safety and hazard analysis
- Creative technical problem solving
- Strong bias for action
- Ability to work well in cross-functional teams
- Effective use of scientific literature, patents, and search methods
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities
- Strong potential for project and team leadership
The Procedure and Contact
DSM's wide diversity of disciplines makes it possible to offer employees a great variety of roles throughout their career. For instance, you may start your career in an area related to your education/qualifications, but your future is what you make of it. At DSM we stimulate people to determine their own career path and we encourage international careers. We strive to be an Employer of Choice and ensure that our employees are nurtured and given the opportunity to develop their talents. To learn more about DSM's HR vision and policy, please visit our Website at www.dsm.com/careers .
The DSM Recruitment and Selection Process is in line with the general procedure outlined elsewhere on our Career World. Please apply on-line and send your CV & cover letter in English and include information on your current remuneration. Please submit application before deadline 12/21/2012. A reference procedure is part of the DSM Recruitment & Selection Process. You will be contacted when these checks are required.
If you are experiencing difficulty accessing information from this section of our website, please contact us at 847-697-0400
DSM wants to get more out of life, or at least life and material sciences. It focuses on nutritional products and performance materials,...