Save the Children
The Senior Director is responsible for the overall strategic development, implementation, management, monitoring, and accountability of the Saving Newborn Lives (SNL) Program. The Senior Director, in collaboration with members of the SNL Senior Management Team, is responsible for ensuring Program targets and benchmarks are set, resources allocated, and results achieved in order to assist countries in achieving newborn health impact at scale. The Senior Director is a key member of the Office of Health Senior Management Team and plays a leadership role in advancing newborn health in support of Save the Children’s strategic plan. At the global level, the Senior Director will also serve as a key expert, advocate and spokesperson for newborn health on behalf of SNL and Save the Children.
- Oversees, in collaboration with Associate Vice President, Dept. of Health & Nutrition and the SNL Senior Management Team, the vision, strategy and operational plan for the Saving Newborn Lives Program
- Provides leadership and oversight to ensure that the SNL Program is developing state of the art approaches and delivering high quality programs and information
- Develops strategies and relationships with country offices and staff and development counterparts that build capacity to design and deliver quality programs
- Monitors and reports upon progress made in relation to program goals and objectives, both at the global and country level, including or overseeing the preparation of progress reports to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Works closely with International Programs leadership and other departments to ensure that newborn health is integrated into and becomes a priority component of Save the Children International’s strategic plans and programs
- Serves as internal and external expert on newborn health and represents SNL at global fora including workshops, conferences and meetings
- In dialogue with Strategic Advisory Group members and others both within and outside Save the Children, creates a policy and advocacy agenda and plays a leading role in implementing that agenda
- Provides management oversight including building a cohesive performance-oriented team and assuring adequate financial management and tracking.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In 2010, we improved the lives of over 64 million children in need in the United States and around the world. Our goal is to reach more than 74 million children annually by the year 2012. Join our dedicated and diverse staff committed to improving the well-being of children.
- MD with maternal-child and neonatal health training or equivalent experience and graduate level training in public health
- 15 years’ experience in international development in designing, implementing and evaluating programs to improve maternal, newborn, and child health and survival
- Experience in leading and managing a major health program that include the at-scale implementation of state of the art interventions and program approaches
- Creates vision and establishes criteria for making strategic programming decisions
- Able to develop and apply monitoring and evaluation plans to determine program results and monitor impact
- Able to develop strategic advocacy agenda and plans
- Able to play lead role in development of effective and responsive project proposals, implementation plans and monitoring frameworks
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively in a team situation and in cross-cultural settings
- Explains and demonstrates, provides feedback and reinforcement; aligns performance for success, builds trust, delegates responsibility, coaches
- Strong writing and speaking skills in English
- Able to give effective and engaging presentations to groups and individuals
- Computer literacy, including knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, and other basic computer software
Save the Children provides an attractive benefits package including competitive salaries, a matching retirement plan, health and welfare benefits, life insurance, an employee assistance program, generous time off and much more.
We are an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity.
Save the Children - 10 months ago
Save the Children helps poor and malnourished children in about 15 US states and about 120 countries, focusing on such areas as health and...