Title: Principal Linux Systems Administrator (Contractor)
Department: Hosting Operations
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Reports To: Sr Manager
Ariba, an SAP Company makes business commerce as easy as consumer commerce.
Every day, we help our customer find opportunities to cut costs, reduce risk, and grow revenue through better collaboration with trading partners. We enable the collaboration through the Ariba Network – a cloud-based community where you will find buying, selling, and managing cash to be as easy as using Amazon, eBay, and PayPal. We also host other online communities where business commerce professionals network and share information and best practices, just like friends on Facebook.
Our Hosting Operations team is growing. We are looking for a Principal Linux Systems Administrator to provide support to our Cloud Hosting Operations. This is a 6 month contract with a possibility of converting to full-time .
- Reporting to Senior Infrastructure Manager, this is a key responsibility for Ariba’s 24/7 business critical datacenter environment.
- Designs and oversees mission critical systems configurations for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Suse Linux employing enterprise cluster applications in a 24/7 datacenter environment.
- Designs and oversees enterprise mass storage systems and network filers.
- Installs, configures and maintains system applications including DNS, Sendmail, Bind, SSH, TCP/IP and NFS.
- Designs and manages change control procedures employed by the Operations teams.
- Mentors other members of the Operations teams.
- Assists in coordinating and prioritizing team tasks and driving projects to high-quality, on-time completion.
- Drives consensus for systems design and process changes, as well as documentation and monitoring changes.
- Develops and maintains Perl and Shell scripts to enhance deployment and monitoring framework.
- Develops and maintains comprehensive documentation for multiple environments.
- Provides support for 24x7 customer-facing systems (shared responsibility).
Basic Minimum Qualifications
- 7+ years professional experience administering one or more enterprise level Linux operating environments.
- 7+ years professional experience administering network utilities such as Sendmail, Bind, SSH.
- Deep understanding of configuring and managing mass storage systems and network filers.
Qualifications & Abilities:
- Hands on installing, configuring and managing servers.
- Ability to demonstrate expert knowledge of operating system internals, file system structures and machine architectures in a Linux operating environment.
- Ability to demonstrate expert knowledge installing and supporting mass storage systems.
- Ability to demonstrate extensive experience with Netapp filers.
- Experience using Veritas Volume Manager and Cluster Server.
- Extensive experience with enterprise backup systems.
- Extensive experience with automated installation tools such as Kickstart.
- Ability to write and maintain Perl and Shell scripts to automate processes and enhance productivity.
- Ability to react at anytime of day, onsite or remotely.
- Ability to work off-hours for systems upgrades, emergencies.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and decisively.
- Team-player who is flexible and able to work with end-users and production issues simultaneously.
- Strong project management and communication skills.
- Experienced working in dynamic, fast-paced environment with well-developed practices and procedures.
- Experience running mid-size 24x7 production systems (more than 1000 servers).
- Proficiency in compiling, customizing and supporting tools and products obtained from source code.
- Experience setting up and administering network equipment including firewalls, routers, load balancers and switches.
- In-depth knowledge of TCP/IP and administration of NFS and NIS.
- Experiencing implementing and maintaining a system management tool such as CFEngine.
- RedHat and/or Suse Linux Certification a plus.
Ariba Inc. - 12 months ago