Under the direction of the Director of Food Programs, the part-time driver/staff person for the JFCS Meal Programs will deliver nutritious meals, fresh produce, and groceries to homebound seniors, as well to younger adults (18 – 59) with illnesses and disabilities, throughout San Francisco. The driver is an invaluable part of the program, serving as a friendly presence and check-in for clients and ensuring that meals are delivered in an efficient and timely manner. This person will also assist in taking care of the JFCS Food Pantry and shopping at the San Francisco Food Bank. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest or experience in working in a social service agency, knowledge of and interest in nutrition and health, and a safe driving record. This individual should also like to drive!
1. Current California driver’s license and clean DMV record.
2. Sensitivity to or knowledge of the needs of seniors and those with disabilities and chronic illnesses.
3. Strong interest (or previous experience) in working/volunteering in a social service setting.
4. Interest in or knowledge of nutrition and health.
5. Ability to communicate well with individuals from a variety of socioeconomic/cultural backgrounds.
6. Cooperative, efficient, communicative, and friendly manner.
7. Ability to work independently and use sound judgment.
1. Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
2. Good body mechanics in the areas of lifting, carrying, bending, stooping, pushing, or pulling.
3. Required to ascend/descend stairs, often while carrying multiple bags of food.
4. May be required to come in contact with clients with infectious diseases or clients receiving radiation therapy.
5. Regular driving of an automobile.
6. Visual ability to read documents.
7. Regularly required to talk and hear.
This position is a part-time (12 – 14 hours per week, approximately 10:00 am – 1:30 pm, Mondays – Wednesdays and Fridays), hourly, non-exempt contract position without benefits. It has traditionally worked well for those with a flexible schedule who live in San Francisco and have other projects or work.
Jewish Family and Children’s Services - 4 years ago
copy to clipboard