BRMi Consulting is a small, growing consulting firm that focuses on delivering management consulting services to government agencies and is committed to continuously improving and innovating to deliver the best outcomes for its clients. BRMi prides itself on its collaborative work environment where sharing expertise and actively nurturing positive working relationships is an everyday occurrence.
The Sysadmin/DBA will work on a high-energy, multi-departmental team to oversee and assure the proper usage and deployment of the federal government agency data and exciting, next-generation databases for this Federal government client.
- Linux Server Management. Installation of Linux and related software stacks for various services, and maintaining these servers/services in a 24x7 production environment. Experience with Unix/Linux distributions is welcome.
- Hardware Maintenance. Installing/maintain x86 (64 bit) architecture servers - including building from components; installing/upgrading memory/storage; diagnosing problems.
- General Database Management. As a central source of systems and database knowledge in the organization, candidates must understand the basic rules of relational database technology and be able to accurately communicate them to others; be able to diagnose and debug performance bottlenecks; identify missing indexes; and perform backups/restores. Federal government agency is primary an Oracle DB platform, but experience with other vendors' products is desirable.
- Capacity Planning. Because data consumption and usage continue to grow, the Sysadmin/DBA must be prepared to support more data, more users, and more connections.
- Performance Management and Tuning. Proactively monitor systems and make changes to system configurations, data structures, application logic to optimize performance and availability.
- Data Security. Implement and maintain rigorous security infrastructure and processes for various environments.
- Backup and Recovery. Implement/maintain appropriate backup and recovery strategies for various types of servers and clients
Previous experience as Linux/Unix administrator
Oracle DBA experience; Experience with Schema modification
-Strong communication skills, both written and verbal is required
- Experience supporting IMAP/POP/SMTP email a must
- Must be able to compile/install/configure server software (apache, openldap, php, etc)
- Strong knowledge in setup and deployment of database
- Experience in managing large database sizes a plus (Oracle)
- Strong knowledge in optimization and interrogation of databases
- Experience in data integration and database design
- Experience with monitoring logs to identify problems
- Deeply familiar with networking including installation/configuration of routers, switches, firewalls, desktops
- Powerful Linux Shell Skills (use grep, sed, awk, find, etc)
- Skilled with scripting languages such as PHP, Ruby, Python
- Comfort with HTTP service architecture, optimization a big plus
- Server scripting tools including perl/bash/sh/tcsh/csh or some combination required
-Possess strong organizational and time management skills
-Strong MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Project skills preferred.
Associate Degree, Bachelor Degree in computer Science or related degree preferred
Duration: 1 year Consultant assignment
Compensation: Competitive Hourly Rate
Location: Downtown DC
A message from Mike Battle, President and Founder of BRMi:
BRMi - 7 months ago
Founded in 2004, BRMi is a Washington, DC-based strategy and management consulting firm focused on providing business and technology solutio...