Economic Support Section of the Human Services Department seeks to hire two persons to perform public assistance (Income Maintenance, Wisconsin Shares, Medicaid, Badgercare) determinations, re-determinations and case management of Economic Support Programs. Work may involve interviewing applicants for information required to determine eligibility for public assistance programs, processing applications, re-determining eligibility based on reported changes, processing reviews of eligibility, accurately maintaining all financial and other data relevant to county or consortium cases, and ongoing case management. Specific responsibilities to be determined by area of specialty assigned, including the IM Consortium or non-IM programs. Work is subject to close supervision and case maintenance activities which comply with County, State and Federal policy and regulation. Employees in this position may be placed in any of the eight counties in the IM Consortium, which are: Buffalo, Clark, Jackson, La Crosse, Monroe, Pepin, Trempealeau, Vernon.
Hours of Work: Positions are 37.5 hours per week between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm weekdays.
To Be a Successful Applicant: 1) Provide a ten-year work history. Explain gaps in employment; 2) Include reasons for leaving each job; 3) Fill out all fields on the application.
Essential Job Functions:
For a complete list of duties and qualifications, please see job description. Some employees will work in the Change Center and other employees will work providing intake and/or ongoing case management services, as needed by the agency. P erforms or reviews the eligibility determination for public assistance services including, but not limited to, employment services, FoodShare, medical assistance, LIHEAP, Child Care and other supportive services. Handles incoming phone calls. Gathers data from caller, and enters data quickly and accurately by typing and tabbing on computerized programs via the internet, using several programs simultaneously. Works on a computer most of the day, using internet-based processes by logging into internet sites, reading screens, and tabbing to enter information. Performs face-to-face and phone interviews to gather information from clients. Researches, interprets and explains federal, state and local policies governing eligibility, legal rights, and responsibilities of applicants and participants. Assists clients in securing necessary information and completing required forms as appropriate. Explains rights and responsibilities to all applicants/recipients. Also responsible for explaining program eligibility, agency policies, benefits and procedures. Maintains ongoing caseload, completing all necessary applications, re-determinations and changes in a timely manner as required by policy. Refers applicants and recipients to other community resources (food pantries, Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, transportation assistance, etc.) as appropriate. As necessary, performs case management services including but, not limited to, job readiness screening, employability plan, monitoring of employability plan, and assessment of effectiveness of the plan.
Training, Experience and Other Requirements:
- Associate Degree, preferably in Human Services, Public/Business Administration, Economics, or Accounting.
- Two years related office or human services experience.
- Preference will be given to persons with prior experience in economic support eligibility determination, and this experience could substitute for the degree.
- When necessary for successful job performance, specialized background, skill or knowledge may be required. Example: Applications may be restricted to persons who have specialized linguistic skills.
- Experience and able to use computer keyboard efficiently (i.e. ability to type 40 wpm net and input data with 90% accuracy at 90 keystrokes per minute).
- Good computer skills and have experience using the internet.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation with adequate auto liability insurance to meet minimum County requirements.
La Crosse County, WI - 18 months ago