Under direct supervision and guided by the procedures of Ambulatory Services, the Administrative Assistant III is responsible for the efficient organization and operation of several dissimilar administrative functions within the Women’s Health Primary Care practice and collaborates with the Practice Manager and Operations Supervisor to develop, monitor and maintain systems pertaining to all aspects of the function(s). S/he consistently projects a professional and courteous demeanor.
The Administrative Assistant III’s primary responsibilities include checking in and checking out patients at the front desk, scheduling appointments, verifying registration and insurance, processing referrals and authorizations, and coordinating required medical and financial information. S/he serves as a liaison between the practice and the Call Center, works in collaboration with the clinical team and providers regarding patient needs, including messages and referrals, and is responsible for creating and managing provider schedules. S/he is knowledgeable about electronic appointment scheduling and patient registration systems and performs the Front Desk, Referral Coordinator, and Scheduler roles as needed as well as covering for the Administrative Assistant II role when needed. S/he will obtain insurance authorization information from health care plans for the practice and must be able to abstract clinical data from medical records to answer patient and insurance questions. As requested, the AAIII may resolve billing problems including working assigned reports to resolve problems and ensure payment on accounts. S/he acts as a resource for other staff.
The AAIII must be familiar with appointment, surgery, and test scheduling, inpatient admissions, chart preparation, pre-registering, and Visit Encounters and may provide this service depending on the needs of the practice. The AAIII must be able to schedule for different specialties and providers within the practice, understanding the different requirements and needs of each type of provider and service.
All duties are to be performed in a professional and courteous manner as required by the Medical Center House and Telephone Standards.
- High School graduate or equivalent with two to three years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires successful completion of registration/scheduling training program and insurance principles training program, including a passing score on the tests.
- Requires successful completion of template scheduling training.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills both over the telephone and directly.
- Able to sit at a computer station and telephone for extended periods of time.
- Competent computer/keyboard skills and cash handling skills.
- Possess excellent customer service skills as per the Medical Center’s PRIDE Guide and patient satisfaction expectations.
- Knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
- Willingness to learn new computer programs as needed to sustain practice operations.
- Ability to work effectively with people from diverse cultures and diverse socioeconomic situations.
- Bilingual or multi-lingual capability (Spanish, Cantonese, Vietnamese, and/or Russian) preferred.
- Experience with insurance verification, medical record data abstraction, and patient financial services.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Familiarity with Epic (APeX) electronic health record system.
- Experience working with the public, preferably in a medical/hospital/clinic environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UCSF is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Further information about the University of California, San Francisco, is available at diversity.ucsf.edu. UCSF seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.
University of California San Francisco Medical Center - 10 months ago