Event Planning Communications Specialist will assist Sr. Communications Specialist in executing communications plan and strategy to promote our Maternal and Child Health Integrated Program (MCHIP) to include high-visibility DC-based and international events, meetings and conferences. This is a full-time temporary position lasting through September 30, 2013.
MCHIP is the largest maternal, newborn and child health procurement in USAID history, is a five-year $600 million Leader with Associates (LWA) Cooperative Agreement aiming to accelerate the reduction of maternal, newborn and child mortality in 30 priority countries through the introduction, development and scale-up of high-impact maternal, newborn and child health interventions—including malaria prevention and treatment. Jhpiego is the prime, and partners include Save the Children (SC), John Snow, Inc. (JSI), Johns Hopkins University/Institute for International Programs (JHU/IIP), Macro International, Inc., the Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH), Broad Branch Associates, and Population Services International (PSI).
- Support Sr. Communications Specialist in the execution of MCHIP’s strategic communications plan through high-level events, meetings and conferences both based in US and in international settings.
- Identifying venues
- Manage requests for proposals, vendor selection, contract processes, and deliverables from vendor contracts
- Manage speaker invitations, and on-site logistics support for local events
- Engage MCHIP and principles in social media outlets and through online engagement to expand the reach and online presence of these meetings
- Ensure that organizational protocol and goals are met
- Develop and help manage event promotion plans
- Draft invitations, manage RSVP’s, provide on-site management, etc.
- Write and deliver press releases, fact sheets, articles
- Develop and produce collateral materials
- Develop accurate and creative story ideas for a variety of media and selected audiences, including sharing amongst like-minded groups and partner organizations
- BA in communications, public relations, marketing or related field
- 3+ years event planning experience
- Demonstrate ability to plan and execute successful events and manage projects; experience in planning events in international settings is a must
- Ability to multi-task is a must
- Strong written oral and presentation skills
- Familiarity with and interest in international health environment
- Familiarity with federal government and related agencies and experience in tactical and strategic PR and media outreach
- Ability to meet deadlines under extreme pressure, build consensus and work with diverse groups of people