The principal role of the Sr. Employee Relations Manager (Sr. ERM) is to provide consultation and support for the corrective action performance management process and resolution of complex employee issues. The Sr. ERM conducts the investigation process in response to employment related complaints and external agency claims, consulting and coordinating with Legal Counsel and site resources to ensure consistent application of Company policies and procedures and compliance with federal and state laws and regulations. The Sr. ERM will provide consultation and guidance to line managers in drafting and communicating effective performance improvement documents and conduct notices.
The Sr. ERM partners primarily with Legal and Human Resources Managers (HRMs) and Directors (HRDs) to diagnose and recommend solutions to complex people issues, which extend across client group(s) within an EC member's organization. The actions, decisions, and ability of the Sr. ERM to deliver results may result in a measurable increase, or decrease, in mitigating employee relations risk across the organization.
Provide expert consultation and support of issue resolution for complex employee issues. In consultation with Legal, and occasionally under the direction of Legal, manage and conduct timely and effective research and investigations in response to internal employee complaints. Prepare thorough and timely documentation of all investigations.
In partnership with Legal, research and respond to complaints submitted through external governmental agencies (example: DFEH, EEOC). At the request and under the direction of Legal:
Monitor and analyze ER data and recommend organization-wide and/or client specific intervention, training, and other options to address identified themes. May develop and deliver ER-related orientation and training modules to management teams.
- Conduct pre-litigation ER investigations
- Respond to gCom complaints
Provide support and guidance to managers and leaders, consult with Legal and inform HRMs/HRDs of involuntary terminations and mutual consent agreements. Provide guidance and coaching to all levels of managers in addressing complex performance issues and preparing effective performance improvement documents, misconduct letters and termination documentation, as necessary.
At the request of the SVP HR and in consultation with Legal and HRD/HRM, review and investigate escalated employee relations issues including complaint letters and other communication (e.g. e-mail) addressed to SVP of HR, Officers, EC members.
As a member of the extended Human Resources Team for a specific client organization(s), the Sr. ERM will partner with the team to provide deep technical expertise in employee relations, knowledge of environment, and cross-organization analysis of ER effectiveness in support of the team's implementation of strategy and solutions for people-related challenges within their client group(s). In partnership with the extended HR Team and Legal colleagues, evaluate and ensure effective cross-organization risk management relative to employee relations and human resources practices.
Candidates for this position should possess the following qualifications and be able to demonstrate the following abilities to be considered as a suitable applicant. Please note that except where specified as "preferred" all points listed below are considered minimum requirements.
HR QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
ABILITIES & COMPETENCIES:
- 8 years of progressively responsible HR experience in a fast paced and large corporate organization with a minimum 5 years recent direct experience focusing on employee relations
- Demonstrated success in resolution of highly complex ER issues working with all levels of employees and management, from non-exempt to executive levels
- Expert level knowledge of state and federal employment laws and regulations
- Experience responding to complaints issued through federal and state government agencies (i.e., EEOC, DFEH)
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
Direct experience and deep technical knowledge and expertise in Employee Relations:
Effective strategic consultation and influencing skills:
- Ability to apply technical expertise to resolve complex issues
- Comprehensive expertise in risk assessment as well as a foundation in the application of employment law in a business environment
- Independently manage complex cases with minimal direction and supervision
High-level collaboration & teamwork skills:
- Ability to think systemically and consult strategically with all levels of managers and leaders
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret written business and statistical data
- Excellent issue resolution skills with ability to negotiate and resolve complex matters, putting specific problems in context of larger system
- Managerial courage; able to have effective critical conversations, using diplomacy and tact to diffuse high tension situations effectively
Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to build constructive and effective relationships across the organization with all levels of managers, leaders, and individual contributors
- Ability to partner with other business colleagues in managing cross-organizational investigations
- Demonstrated success in leveraging participation of key stakeholders in the resolution of employee issues and implementation of recommended solutions
Superior organizational and time management skills; able to handle high case load, prioritize and balance multiple priorities
Roche is on a medicinal roll. The company operates two segments, pharmaceuticals and diagnostics, and sells its products in some 180...