The responsibilities associated with this position will include assisting with the collection and analysis of data related to functional performance for individuals with amputation of an arm & who use a prosthetic device. Other responsibilities will include setting up and maintaining the equipment required to perform these studies, contacting potential study participants and scheduling their visits, keeping an inventory of supplies and data collection sheets required during a study session, explaining the study procedures to participants, obtaining the consent of patients, and assisting with literature reviews and report writing for grants, manuscripts, and proposal submissions to the Institutional Review Board. Pending the successful applicant's experience and goals there may be opportunities for a grant coordinator role on a large multi-project center grant. This position is best filled by someone with attention to detail, independent learning and natural inquisitiveness, who has a basic level of knowledge related to biomedical engineering.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Conducts literature reviews and electronic searches on the Internet and on OVID; presents preliminary synthesis of literature to Team Leader.
2. Assists in preparation of reports to funding organizations, presentations to Advisory Committees, research protocols, subject interview guides; and arranges focus group meetings and logistics.
3. Prepares bibliographies and documents in format required for submission to peer-reviewed journals.
4. Serves as proposal manager to assemble grant and contract proposals accurately and on-time, including drafting informed consent and IRB packages.
5. Prepares complex mailings to field longitudinal and cross-sectional surveys, and to disseminate research products.
6. Participates as a member of Project Teams through collection, data entry, and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data, including qualitative, highly personal interviews on sensitive subjects.
7. Assists with subject recruitment and retention, including scheduling of interviews.
8. Attends external meetings and reports back to supervisor.
9. Participates in investigator meetings, site visits, and conferences. Under direction, prepares name badges, agendas, sends meeting reminders, takes meeting minutes, identifies follow-up actions, tracks completion of “to do” actions by various researchers.
10. Maintains required records of study activity including case report forms, regulatory documents and databases.
11. Complies with MedStar, MHRI and NRH policies and procedures.
12. Assists with IRB submissions.
13. Consistently demonstrates support for compliance in the performance of job duties and responsibilities by a) developing and maintaining knowledge of, and performing job functions in compliance with, rules, regulations, policies, and statutes that affect his/her job; b) maintaining knowledge of and performing job functions in compliance with MedStar Health and MedStar Health Research Institute policies and procedures; and c) reporting compliance concerns in an appropriate and timely manner.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
Publication Expectations: An intrinsic component of the research process is to disseminate the findings. We expect research assistants to participate in the dissemination process as follows: lay media – co-author one article, at least once per year; conference presenter, panelist, or co-author in a poster session, at least once per year; peer reviewed journal or major non-peer reviewed periodical – none.
Required: Bachelor’s degree. Knowledge of research design, methodology, and data analysis. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Strong report writing skills. Excellent telephone manner. Sound judgement, ability to prioritize tasks, willingness to learn new skills, willingness to work in a team environment in a matrix organization. Advanced word processing, including merging of multiple files into a single document, and the creation of templates. Internet skills and literature searching experience. Interest in health research or health policy.
Desired: Masters degree. Experience in research design and methods. Knowledge of SPSS-PC, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software. Interest in clinical rehabilitation research.
MedStar Health Research Institute - 23 months ago