This is a working supervisor position with responsibility for supervising and assisting with the removal of trash and debris from campus. This position also supervises all university recycling efforts in support of American University’s Zero Waste policy. The Recycling Services Supervsior performs hardscape maintenance and provides assistance for other grounds maintenance and support services activities and special projects including preparation for special events and storm clean-up.
This job requires self-direction and limited supervision.
High school degree or equivalent.
- 3-5 years campus clean up and recycling experience with 1-2 years of supervisory experience preferred
- Ability to obtain authorization to operate a university vehicle and skill in the operation of heavy trucks and grounds equipment
- Knowledge of operation of grounds equipment, recycling practices and standards
- Knowledge of work methods, equipment, and procedures to assure health and safety standards and precautions are in compliance with District, EPA, and OSHA regulations and requirements
- Good verbal and written communication skills,
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. and capacity to work in seasonal weather conditions.
Professional grounds maintenance certification (PLANET) and course work in campus recycling.
Incumbent may be asked to serve on various Grounds and Facilities Management committees. This is an essential position. Incumbent may be required to work during an emergency closing of the university. Incumbent may be expected to work overtime, including evenings and weekends, with little notice.
Open to internal candidates only.