Title: Front of House Supervisor
Department: Mt. Roberts Tramway Hours of Work: 20-40 Hours
Category: Seasonal FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary/Grade Level: DOE Date Approved: 02/09/2013
Reports to (Supervises/Liaison): Food & Beverage Manager
Under the direction of the Food & Beverage Manager, responsible for closing/balancing and reporting all payments of food and beverage purchases made by restaurant and bar guests, in order to ensure smooth operations and accountability of sales receipts. Responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of the dining room during business hours and special events as well as all closing and opening procedures of all front of house staff. Assist food and beverage manager in planning and executing all special events.
- Counts, verifies, and closes out tills or banks assigned to each barista and bartender during the morning or evening shift
- Informs office manager of amount, either in agreement, short or over the tallied sales receipts for food and beverages;
- Distributes till to barista and/or bartender of the later shift and verifies/closes the same;
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all cash during the shift and depositing activities at the close of morning or evening business
- Signing onto the computerized cash collection system, performs customer transaction voids and change orders.
- Checks and totals sales receipts; ensures that the cash drawer balances; verifies (open/close) safe; nightly runs the credit card transaction report and sales report;
- Works with tramway and corporate accounting staff to address and resolve any problems related to the reporting and accountability of sales receipts and related restaurant transactions.
- Responsible for the training of all front of house staff including; bartenders, wait staff, bussers, and host staff.
- Responsible for all front of house schedules that meet labor dollar requirements.
- Records actual labor dollars for each day in the labor spreadsheet
- Responsible for opening/closing the restaurant and holding all staff (including the kitchen) accountable for following proper procedures and completing their task 100%
- Provides floor supervision and monitoring of Cashiers, Wait staff and Bus persons;
- Ensure staff follows proper and standard methods and techniques of food serving, taking and following up on orders, communicating with guests, etc.
- Responsible for ensuring food is being served within one (1) minute of coming up in the window
- Ensuring the plates are properly garnished and that food quality is up to our standards
- Handles all guest or staff complaints and minor problems that arise during the shift
- Circulates throughout the restaurant area to ensure consistency in food handling, cashiering, seating and service;
- Ensures staff maintains work areas in a clean and neat manner; stock and set up wait stations; and reset tables for new guests as quickly as possible.
- Assist food & beverage manager and bar supervisor in liquor inventories and inputting counts into monthly inventory spreadsheets.
- Keep food & beverage office clean and organized
- Identify and resolve bookkeeping discrepancies.
- Assists co-workers as needed to ensure guest satisfaction and smooth operations
- Schedule and organize staff for special events
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Ability to meet time and attendance requirements
- Ability to work all different shifts including holidays and weekends
- Ability to handle stress under pressure
- Knowledge of customer services techniques
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to identify and resolve service problems and to handle all complaints quickly and efficiently, in the customers’ best interest;
- Lead by example, including the ability to train staff with little or no prior experience
- Ability to handle stressful situations in an effective manner; to smooth out problems between staff working the floor and kitchen areas and between early and late shifts
- Proven knowledge of practices and techniques of mixology and proficient in the operation of bar and restaurant equipment; standard bar opening, operating and closing procedures; liquor laws;
- Skill in computerized cash register systems; cash collection procedures;
- Skill in standard practices and procedures related to food and beverage serving, taking/following up on orders and communicating with guests.
- Ability to learn, understand, and follow verbal and written instructions/directions.
- Skill in operating personal computer utilizing a variety of computer software including Word and Excel
- Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with other employees
- Ability to work directly with the public, providing information and assistance on a daily basis
- Thorough knowledge of standard restaurant opening, operating and closing, including cash collection, procedures, and practices
- Ability/willingness to learn and pass on to guests those areas of interest to visitors, such as local history, people, culture, geography, etc.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
- High school diploma or equivalent, AND
- One (1) year experience as front of house supervisor and wait staff in high volume environment.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
- Current CPR and first aid certificates;
- Drug testing may be required.
- Prior Tram Operations experience.
- Alaska food handlers card
- Current TAPS (training for alcohol professionals) card
- One (1) year of experience as a bartender
- One (1) year of experience as a Front of House Supervisor
Standard restaurant environment as part of an aerial tramway and lift operation at a 1800 ft. elevation; constant exposure to extreme heights, and periodic exposure to dangerous equipment during emergency evacuations or power failures. Constant movement in narrow/confined work space and a hot, noisy environment; prolonged interaction with restaurant guests, must be able to hear and handle guest concerns. The Tram is a non-smoking facility with designated outside smoking areas.
Closing Date: 2/2