Job Title: RTF Field Technician
Department: Rail Transfer Facility - 711
Reports To: RTF Technicians Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Performs a variety of tasks in support of on-site hazardous waste acceptance, including; environmental monitoring, material sampling, use of radiological instrumentation, and computer data input.
HEALTH AND SAFETY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews incoming waste shipment documentation and inbounds information into software programs.
- Tests and modifies control and instrumentation systems at on site locations. Maintains instrumentation logs.
- Operates truck scale, records weights and ensures paperwork is accurate for the receiving site. Guides truck drivers on DOT regulations between sites.
- Assists in environmental monitoring program.
- Prepares sample for testing, records data, and prepares summaries and charts for review. Ensure that paperwork meets requirements.
- Sets monitoring equipment to provide flow of information. Operates fixed or mobile monitoring or data collection station.
- Supports site safety and control programs to include monitoring and protecting personnel from radiation and hazardous material exposure.
- Assists in disposing of waste in compliance with regulations. Duties may include sweeping, shoveling, general maintenance, housekeeping, and equipment operation.
- Performs other, related duties as assigned. These are duties which may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but which are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically
associated with the employee’s class of work.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
While performing this job, the employee is responsible for continuous adherence to the Company’s Health and Safety Program. This includes: the health and safety of themselves and their co-workers, completing tasks in a safe manner, attending safety meetings
and mandatory Health and Safety training, and reporting any unsafe conditions, acts, or unanticipated hazards to their Supervisor, General Manager, or Health and Safety Specialist. Duties and responsibilities are detailed in the Health and Safety Program
Master Document and will be provided by the Health and Safety Specialist and/or the direct supervisor during new-hire orientation, training sessions or upon request.
Employees are required to report any concerns associated with environmental compliance to their supervisor, General Manager or Environmental Manager. Employees are also required to complete training in hazardous waste management procedures, emergency response
and other topics as outlined in the facility’s training program and/or an individual training matrix.
To perform the duties of this job, the employee must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers, employees, service providers, and agency representatives. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.Good
organization skills. Ability to attend meetings or perform other assignments at locations outside the office, if necessary. Proficiency with a variety of personal computer hardware and other office machines.Excellent working knowledge of PC software such as
word processing, spreadsheets and database management. Ability to understand and follow safety and security practices.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Education and/or Experience
Annual company Health and Safety course and other site training as required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning Ability Ability to apply common-sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral,
or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The personal and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may work alone, work extended hours or special shifts, with frequent interruptions and repetitious operations. Employee must be able to work under the stress of meeting many requests from various departments
and individuals, sometimes with conflicting deadlines. The employee shall at alll times demonstrate cooperative behavior with visitors, coworkers, and supervisors.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms-, climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee
must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
US Ecology, Inc. - 17 months ago