Engineering Department Designer assists with the detail design of assigned equipment and systems or areas of the vessel and is responsible for providing support to the Engineering, Procurement, Planning and Production Departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform detail design for assigned systems or areas of the vessel
- Perform basic calculations relevant to assigned systems or areas of the vessel
- Create a 3-dimensional model of ship systems and equipment
- Generate and distribute detail design drawings and design change notices relevant to assigned systems or areas of the vessel
- Provide technical information concerning manufacturing or processing techniques, materials, properties, and process advantages and limitations for assigned systems and areas of the vessel to Engineering, Procurement and Production
- Support the creation of bills of material and assignment of work phases
- Provide field engineering support as required to support production activities during QC inspections or responding to production questions developed throughout construction of the ship
- Assist manufacturing, building, installation, or testing of assigned systems or areas of the vessel
- Develop work packages for use by Planning and Production departments
- Support other production representatives in the shipyard by providing field corrections and repair instructions for piping and other mechanical issues.
- Propose technical improvements to the design and construction of vessels.
- Assist in the identifying, locating, and ordering of materials.
- Practical experience in a shipyard or engineering firm for a minium of 2 years
- Proficiency with MS Office and CAD systems such as AutoCAD and SmartSketch 2D
- Experience working in a team
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Experience with 3D modeling software such as Tribon or Intergraph SmartMarine is a plus
- Knowledge/experience concerning detail ship design is a plus
- Knowledge/experience concerning modern shipbuilding practices is a plus
- International experience or familiarity with European and/or Asian Shipbuilding Standards is a plus
- Experience with ERP systems such as SAP or Projector and scheduling software such as MS Project is a plus
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or an Associate's Degree in Technology, Drafting or equivalent with 2 years experience in engineering field.
Although the position is an office related white-collar type of job; the successful candidate must still possess the physical abilities necessary to perform any aspect of the job mentioned above with reasonable accommodations.
Although the field engineer will be located indoors in a climate controlled office environment, responsibilities will by their very nature require regular field work in the shipyard’s fabrication shops, dry docks, and on-board vessels as part of the above activities. These heavy industrial settings may include; noise, heat, cold, vibration, dust, fume and smoke, and may involve exposure to inclement weather conditions.
- 3 years ago - save job