The Technical Support Engineer works with active clients, providing technical support and troubleshooting for NBS proprietary applications and databases. In providing, Level II technical support, this position works in conjunction with a variety of departments throughout the operations group, including Multi-Product Account Managers, Client Relationship Managers, Project Managers, Developers, etc. to provide outstanding technical service to client schools.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Solve application support cases through effective troubleshooting.
2. Monitor system performance and react to outage alarms and process failures.
3. Proactively stay up-to-date with all the latest technologies employed by the QuikPAY platform products and the underlying technologies and share this knowledge with other support engineers.
4. Recognize and escalate difficult technical/business issues within the Sales, Customer Support, and Engineering organizations.
5. Work with support and/or product development personnel to troubleshoot and work around product issues.
6. Create Knowledge Base Articles/Technical Notes.
7. Perform issue intake via phone, e-mail, IM, and system alerts.
8. Prioritize both time and projects, working independently.
9. Communicate when additional resources are needed to handle support workload.
10. Proactively respond to issues reported by automated systems, even before the customer realizes there is a problem.
11. Escalate problems that require research beyond your ability to resolve.
12. Listen, comprehend and communicate on the fly.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Ability to remain productive under conditions where interruptions are prevalent.
2. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with customers while providing excellent customer support.
3. Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
4. Ability to think “out-of-the-box” and develop creative solutions.
5. Understanding of programming principles, however does not need to be a programmer.
6. Good working knowledge of vi editor.
7. Good technical skills with Java technology stack (Tomcat, Apache, JVM, etc.)
8. Familiarity with SQL in SQLPlus environment.
9. Highly self-motivated and independent.
10. Excellent troubleshooting skills.
11. Well-organized with the ability to multi-task and work with minimal supervision.
12. Comfortable interacting with other teams and departments.
13. Flexibility to cover extended hours on a rotating basis.
14. Knowledge of Linux operating system architecture and security
15. Good technical knowledge of Oracle DBMS and SQL Loader a plus.
16. Knowledge of DNS, SSL, PGP, Sendmail, firewalls, and file transfer protocols also a plus.
Education and Experience:
1. College graduate in related field (4-year degree preferred) or equivalent experience.
2. 2+ years high-level technical support in Linux environment.
3. 2+ years technical experience with web applications.
4. Extensive experience in examining, investigating and solving dynamic problems.
5. Experience working issues/cases at all technical levels.
6. Systems administration background (a plus).
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance. Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Nelnet Talent Acquisition & Recruiting.
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.