Southside Virginia Community College seeks qualified candidates for an Adult Career Coach/Job Placement Coordinator position. This position is within the Department of Adult Education and Grants. The department provides a comprehensive array of educational, career development and other workforce transition support services to prepare adult learners to pursue their academic and career pathway.
This coordinator position is responsible for working with adult participants to determine eligibility, develop individual career and education plans, secure college or training program admissions and financial aid; and acquire needed support services through human services agencies and community based organizations. The coordinator may divide their time between community college campuses, adult education settings, and One Stop Career Centers. Working in coordination with partners in the workforce system, the coordinator is also responsible for providing connections for adult students enrolled in college programs to gain access to experiential learning opportunities such as cooperative education and internships that may be available through the college or other partnering entities in the region's workforce development system. Additionally, the adult coach/ job placement coordinator will work individually and in small groups with referred participants to provide services for job preparation and placement including: guidance in the job search process, employability skills coaching, connections with relevant employers, and assistance with preparing for applications, resumes, interviews, and other steps in the job placement process.
The coordinator may have knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- Ability to assess the skills, needs, interests, and aptitudes of clients and provide personalized advice on career and post-secondary options
- Ability to develop individual action plans with clients
- Knowledge of specific competencies needed for career readiness, both for specific occupations and for job readiness in general, including but not limited to job search skills, resume writing skills, interview skills, and professional soft skills
- Ability to work with Virginia Employment Commission to share knowledge of labor market trends and opportunities
- Strong interpersonal skills to help engage, provide support, and motivate customers, as well as to engage business partners effectively
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of training and coaching strategies effective to strengthening the "soft" skills of participants
- Ability to build networks and establish effective working partnerships
- Coaching and facilitation skills
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Office and social media
- A baccalaureate degree in a related field such as counseling, human resources, social services, adult education or workforce development is required
- Several years of related work experience
- Successful candidate must possess a current driver's license and the ability to provide their own transportation to cover assignments throughout the community college service region
- Previous experience in coaching, counseling or workforce development is preferred.
Valid driver's license and personal transportation is required in order to travel throughout the service area.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS: Consideration for an interview is based solely on the information on the state application. Therefore, SVCC does not accept "See Resume" as a response to any question. Information on the application is the primary source used for screening the position. Failure to complete any section of the application may disqualify the application. Applications should include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable.
All positions are dependent upon funding.
Satisfactory reference and background checks are a condition of employment.
When specified, official transcripts will be required of the successful candidate. If sending transcripts via mail, attach a Word document in HRMS stating your name, position applied for, and that transcripts are being mailed by separate cover.
Motor Vehicle History Required.
Virginia Jobs - 19 months ago