Performs technical tasks towards the development or testing of machinery and equipment.
1. Performs layout, fabrication, assembly, installation, operation, maintenance, modification, and testing of mechanical components, apparatus and equipment.
2. Sets up and operates equipment, test apparatus, test equipment, diagnostic devices and related equipment.
3. Drafts detail drawings or sketches for drafting room completion or to request parts.
4. Devises, fabricates and assembles new or modified mechanical components or assemblies.
5. Builds experimental apparatus, instrumentation or systems of moderate complexity.
6. Constructs components or subassemblies of experimental apparatus or prototype models.
7. Records test procedures and results, performs routine analysis and calculations; and makes recommendations for changes in equipment, product or test methods.
8. Participates in special projects as required.
An Associate Degree in mechanical systems, or comprable experience to include completion of a two-year mechanical technician training course with 5 additonal years of experience working as a mechanical technician.
1-3 years of related experience fabricating, maintaining and repairing mechanical components.
Recent experience in the following is highly desired:
(1) Operation and preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of complex piping, powering, shafting, mechanical components and machinery such as winches, gear and chain driven transmission systems, hydraulic and pneumatic actuators, pump motors, cranes and hoists, boat and barge propulsion system, gasoline and diesel engines.
(2) Adjustment and calibration of mechanical systems
(3) High pressure air, hydraulic, pneumatic systems operation and maintenance
(4) Use, assembly and installation of rigging. Knowledge of rigging materials such as wire rope, natural and synthetic fiber rope, clips, shackles, hooks, pad-eyes, swivels, rams, jacks, etc. Operation of Category 1, 2, 3 and/or 4 crane. Operation of winches, cranes, hoists and other material handling equipment.
(5) Re-entry control, quality assurance and configuration control of systems and components for a program similar to the Navy's SUBSAFE program.
(6) Application of coatings and treatments; fabrication and repair of items and molds using fiberglass, rubber, adhesives and epoxy components. Knowledge of painting and preservation applications with a variety of different coatings necessary to preserve structures subject to exposure elements and immersion in water environments.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT),...