Organization: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
Location: Vallejo, CA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Reports To: Senior Veterinarian and Director of Animal Care
Position Summary: Work with the zoological staff to proactively treat and care for Six Flags Discovery Kingdom collection of marine and land mammals, exotic birds, fish, reptiles and sharks. Help plan, direct and participate in health care program for the animal collection.
- Must be able to participate and succeed in a team-oriented environment.
- Excellent diagnostic skills and ability to read and interpret clinical laboratory results.
- Proficiency in utilizing ultrasound, radiography, flexible and rigid endoscope equipment.
- Proficiency with basic orthopedic and soft tissue surgery for both small and large animals.
- Proficiency in anesthesia for a variety of species.
- Knowledge and experience in transportation and acclimation of large animals preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals.
- Ability to write oral presentations and articles for publication.
- Ability to effectively present information to management, public groups and/or corporate representatives.
- Must have the ability to easily communicate veterinary needs to a diversified staff.
- Up-to-date on the use of “environmental enrichment” programs.
- Ability to obtain California Veterinary licenses within first year of employment and maintain license in good standing.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications.
- Duties and tasks may involve standing, walking, bending, and lifting.
- Position is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions.
- Must be able to swim.
- Must gain knowledge of park emergency, safety, environmental and department procedures.
- Must stay current in all required department, environmental, safety, and health related training.
Minimum Education & Licenses Required: D.V.M. or V.M.D in good standing from an accredited college of Veterinary Medicine; valid California driver’s license.
- Diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up of all animal health concerns in the park.
- Provides immediate medical attention to diseased or traumatized animals.
- Establishes and conducts effective testing procedures for all incoming animals to ensure health of collection and comply with government regulations.
- Conducts postmortem studies and analyses.
- Participates in the planning and executing of nutrition and reproduction programs for animal collection.
- Continued assessment and improvement of preventative health care protocols for all species.
- Responsible for instruction of zoological staff in radiation protection as mandated by California Department of Health.
- Contributes information and knowledge on all phases of animal health during Animal Husbandry Meetings.
- Conduct regularly scheduled veterinary rounds and preventive care programs to maintain health of animals and guard against communicable diseases.
- Conduct routine physicals on all animals.
- Work with zoological staff members on present husbandry procedures, design and implement new protocols that facilitate the treatment and care of all animals.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as required.
Minimum Experience Required: Minimum of 3-5 years veterinary experience in a mixed or large animal practice or zoological institution.
Application Deadline: Until Filled Date Posted: February 3, 2012
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit an electronic resume along with salary requirements to;
Mr. Casey Chung, Recruiter Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
1001 Fairgrounds Drive
Vallejo, CA 94589
Association of Zoos and Aquariums - 2 years ago
For millions of people, Six Flags is the standard-bearer for theme park thrills. The company is the #2 amusement park operator in the world...