Job Title: Nurse Practitioner - Part Time - Wilmington and New Castle Sr. Center
Location: New Castle, DE
Christiana Care Health System is one of the nation’s largest ( >1,000 beds) not-for-profit teaching institutions, serving all of Delaware and neighboring areas of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New Jersey- with over 54,000 admissions, 7,200 newborn deliveries, and 143,000 emergency department visits annually. Christiana Care is centrally located from major cities such as Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.
This is a part time Nurse Practitioner position working two days a week conducting home visits out of either the Wilmington Senior center or the New Castle Senior Center.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Provides medical management of patients in the home and medical office setting. This includes: seeing patients in a professional manner, taking an accurate history, performing a thorough physical exam, forming a diagnosis, developing and executing an appropriate treatment plan, and ensuring adequate follow-up to patient
- Demonstrates skills and knowledge of common geriatric syndromes to provide appropriate care to patients. Common topics include dementia, delirium, urinary incontinence, constipation, ambulatory dysfunction, acute and chronic pain, wound care, polypharmacy issues, preventive care, palliative care, etc.
- Acts as a liaison for patients, families, and health professionals. Will make appropriate referrals to social work for services, physical and occupational therapy for maintaining functional independence, visiting nurse association for issues regarding on-going nursing management, and other specialists for further management of acute/chronic disease processes.
- Will actively communicate with the family on patient’s plan of care, progress, and prognosis.
- Consults with physicians staffed at both senior centers on medical cases that are complicated and not described in established guidelines.
- Identifies end of life patients, has a basic knowledge and skill set for palliative care, and appropriately refer patients to hospice care.
- Fosters, maintains, and strengthens community relationships that will help care for the elderly patient.
- Respects individual organizations missions, policies, and procedures. Conversely, community based organizations will view the nurse practitioner as a resource for senior care.
- Organizes public health education programs at the senior centers to promote well-being, preventive care, and chronic disease management.
- Utilizes evidence based medicine coupled with expert clinical knowledge to promote and provide education to the patient and their families.
- Helps coordinate transitions of care to maximize quality of life and functional status for the patient and his/her family.
- Provides nursing services including immunizations, simple wound care, cerumen removal, fecal disimpaction, and screening tests that are compatible with current nursing practice guidelines.
- Participates in the development of the annual budget and monitors expenditures according to funding allocations.
- Helps coordinate all research activities on-site at the senior centers and home visit program. Will follow guidelines as set forth by the Institutional Review Board.
- Coordinates with the Medical and Administrative Directors in quality assurance which is reviewed quarterly at the staff meeting, and keeps precise records of QA/CQI activities.
- Oversees the maintenance of medical and pharmacy supply inventory.
- Maintains center according to JCAHO, CLIA and OSHA standards; incorporates CCHS Core Values in daily practice.
- Maintains logs of medication, eyewash station, fire equipment, and temperature of refrigerator for medications and controls for lab work.
- Performs assigned work safely, adhering to established departmental safety rules and practices, reports to supervisor, in a timely manner, any unsafe activities, conditions, hazards, or safety violations that may cause injury to oneself, other employees, patients and visitors.
- Performs other related duties as required
Christiana Care Health System is proud to be an equal opportunity employer whose staff is representative of its community and considers qualified applicants for open positions without regard to race, color, gender identity or expression, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, disability, or genetic information.
- Master's degree in nursing with PNP, ANP or FNP Board certification and prescriptive authority required.
- Minimum of two years’ experience with adults, preferably seniors.
Job Classification: Professional
Job Requisition #: 30658BR
Christiana Care Health Systems - 16 months ago
Christiana Care Health System, headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, is one of the country's largest health care providers, ranking 22nd in...