Percent Time: |
Type of Position
Regular: A position which is considered essential for the effective long-term operation of the university. Persons appointed to this position will receive the privileges and benefits associated with regular employment status.
The Department of Computer Science is seeking an experienced Senior Unix/Linux Systems Administrator. This position will provide systems support for instruction and research centric systems including high performance computing clusters in a mixed Linux and Windows environment.
This position will work in conjunction with the CLAS (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences) Information Technology group while striving to implement and architect specific research and instructional needs in the college. Interaction with faculty, staff and central IT resources will require excellent interpersonal skills. This interaction will require understanding and cooperation with other campus technology staff to identify and implement the best shared, independent or centrally hosted solutions.
For a detailed job description, please email Catherine Till, email@example.com .
The Senior Systems Administrator classification is the third classification in the System Administration and System Programming (PIF) job family. For more information about this job family, visit: https://hris.uiowa.edu/CC_Redesign/driver.php?ACTION=DETAIL&FAMILY=PIF
Note to Applicant:
The qualifications for this job posting are described as competencies for the behaviors needed to be successful in performing the duties of the position at a defined proficiency level/standard. The prodiciency level required for each qualification is included.
Please assure that your application/resume and/or cover letter illustrates the work experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities you have that meet each of the required qualifications.
Proficiency levels are defined are:
Basic Application - Uses basic understanding of the field to perform job duties, may need some guidance on job duties; applies learning to recommend options to address unusual situations.
Working Experience - Successfully completes diverse tasks of the job; applies and enhances knowledge and skill in both usual and unusual issues; needs minimal guidance in addressing unusual situations.
Extensive Experience - Performs without assistance; recognized as a resource to others; able to translate complex nuances to others; able to improve processes; focus on broad issues.
Expert/Leader - Seen as an expert and/or leader; guides, troubleshoots; has strategic focus; applies knowledge and skill across or in leading multiple projects/orgs; demonstrates knowledge of trends in field; leads in developing new processes.
For more information about competencies, visit:
A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience
- Five to seven years of system administration; three to five years of experience with Linux.
- Strong understanding of the Unix operating systems.
- Experience with TCP/IP networks.
- Experience with at least one scripting language (bash, perl, or python).
- Experience with Redhat, CentOS, or Fedora (strongly preferred).
- Experience managing and configuring Apache, MySQL/PosgreSQL, PHP (LAMP),DNS,DHCP, PXE booting, CUPS, LDAP and Samba.
- Familiarity with virtualization (such as VMware, Virtual Box, or KVM)
- HPCC experience and job schedulers like Sun Grid Engine
- Experience evaluating new and emerging technologies and their potential applications at an enterprise level
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with technical and non-technical staff
- Experience in securing servers and applications (e.g. iptables, TCP wrappers, sudo)
- Knowledge of Linux management & loading technologies (e.g. Puppet, Kickstart)
- Experience configuring, managing and troubleshooting RAID based storage systems, SAN’s, NAS or JBOD disks arrays.
- Experience with current Windows Server operating systems (e.g. Server 2003 R2, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2)
- Experience with Monitoring tools (e.g. Nagios, ZenOSS BigBrother, System Center Operation Manager)
- Knowledge of Active Directory, SCCM
- Experience with advance File Systems (e.g. ZFS, NFS, ext4)
The University of Iowa - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard