2A Telemetry/Oncology Unit
One (1) Full time (1.0 FTE) RN Position
Tour of Duty: Night shift (12mn-8am)
Palo Alto Division
1. Responsible to the Nurse Manager, 2A.
2. Functions as an integral member of the acute Interdisciplinary Team and is responsible for accurate clinical assessments, interventions, evaluations and documentation of the medical and surgical patient.
3. Provides care for the acute surgical and medical patients through coordination of services within the VAPAHCS, demonstrating an organized and systematic process for problem solving and prioritizing the needed delivery of care.
4. Provides appropriate and comprehensive patient and family teaching.
5. Demonstrates clinical competency in the management of IVs, wound care, use of pain management devices, use of enteral feeding tubes, and oxygen therapy.
6. Functions as a team leader and directs and supervises LVNs and support staff as needed.
7. Continually analyzes and evaluates unit functions and activities in order to improve care to patients.
8. Assists in orientation and education of the inpatient staff.
9. Documents nursing interventions / actions using electronic templates in GUI.
10. Participates in In-services and TQI Activities.
11. Manages resources in a variety of settings to meet patient care needs and assure quality care.
o Associate Degree in Nursing required, BSN preferred, with evidence of continuing education and ongoing self development in leadership/management. Masters Degree in nursing or health related field preferred.
o Demonstrates skill in communication, patient teaching and interpersonal relationships.
o Demonstrates physical and psychosocial assessment skills.
o Demonstrates critical thinking in delivery of patient care.
o Ability to function independently as well as with team members.
o Ability to work effectively with patients with a variety of medical and psychiatric conditions
o Current BCLS and ACLS required.
o Phlebotomy and IV skills required
o Three years Medical /Surgical/ related experience preferred. Telemetry and Oncology experience preferred.
â€¢ Citizenship - United States Citizenship is required. Non-citizens may be appointed when no citizens are available in accordance with regulations issued by the Under Secretary for Health.
â€¢ School of Nursing - Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
â€¢ Licensure - A nurse will have a current, full, active and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the U.S. or in the District of Columbia.
â€¢ English Language Proficiency: RNs appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by Title 38, United States Code (38 U.S.C.).
VA Medical Center (Palo Alto) - 4 years ago