The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, and Partners.
This individual will assist project and support teams with technical issues. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out and supporting the solutions.
This individual is accountable for the following systems: Linux systems (RHEL/OEL), Oracle Databases, HP Servers/Storage Area Networks (SAN), HP Switches, VMware, and Monitoring Solutions supporting the Warehouse Control System (WCS) Infrastructure and the development initiative.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
SA Engineering and Provisioning
Operations and Support
- Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure systems such as supports WCS infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Perform system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs and verifying completion of scheduled jobs.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Collaborating with other team members to foster a team atmosphere.
Write, revise and verify process and test procedures.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports WCS infrastructure applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
Developing detailed test, deployment and back-out plans.
- BS in CIS or Engineering discipline or equivalent.
- Experience in Oracle Database Installation and Administration.
- 3 or more year’s Unix/Linux system administration experience.
- Ability to research and quickly become an expert in an IT subject.
- Ability to work in a high-paced, highly dynamic environment.
Keyword: Linux Administrator, System Administrator
- Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Unix and/or Red Hat Linux
- Previous experience in Supply Chain Services.
Fortna - 2 years ago