This is a full time mid to senior-level system administration position at the NASA Advanced Supercomputer (NAS) Facility at NASA Ames Research Center (south of San Francisco, CA in Silicon Valley). This position offers an enormous opportunity for growth and personal development.
Essential Job Functions
- Configure, build and administer Red Hat Linux servers running infrastructure services for the NAS.
- Administer Mac OS X 10.8 systems for scientific users.
- Performs moderately complex systems and database administration. Monitors and tunes appropriate systems to ensure optimum level of performance.
- Oversees appropriate level software installations and upgrades and related software packages.
- Collects and reviews system data for capacity and planning purposes. Analyzes capacity data and develops capacity plans for appropriate level enterprise-wide systems. Coordinates with appropriate management personnel in implementing changes.
- Supports the design and configuration of complex system landscapes.
- Supports complex data/media recoverability through system backups and database archive operations. Plans, coordinates and directs appropriate level data refresh strategies.
- Oversees, recommends and implements appropriate level database solutions and enhancements to ensure an improvement in system reliability and performance.
- Oversees and applies appropriate support packages/patches to maintain system integrity.
- Develops and maintains appropriate system documentation to ensure that documentation is current. Oversees the maintenance of a library of system-supporting process and procedure documentation.
- Interacts with client management to answer questions, problems and requests regarding complex system issues.
- Provides leadership and work guidance to less experienced personnel.
- Develops, enhances and maintains applications and tools to automate administrative processes.
- Provides after hours support with other system administrators on a rotating basis.
- Supports and maintains system hardware.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, management information systems, or related field preferred
- Six or more years of experience in a client-server environment
- Experience working with appropriate complex systems administration, database administration, and landscape maintenance
- Experience working with company products and services
- Experience working with company and client documentation and storage procedures
- Experience working with complex system implementations and organizational processes
CSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Good personal computer and business solutions software skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with Mac OS X administration
Apple has an "i" for revolutionary technology. Since its release, the company's iPhone has spurred a revolution in cell...