Recruitment Number 212428 - Kapaa, Kauai Employment Only.
A continuous recruitment may be closed at any time. The notice of the last day to file applications will be posted in our office and on the Job Opportunities Listing page of our website.
Assists in planning, organizing, directing and coordinating the operations of public housing projects; or serves as staff specialist in the development and evaluation of programs and functions; and performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
To qualify, you must meet all of the following requirements:
Basic Education: A bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
Specialized Experience: Two and one-half years of experience must have been in one or a combination of A or B below:
A. Progressively responsible work which required participation in, or the conduct of, most of the operational activities normally associated with housing projects, including such activities as:
1) Development and implementation of local policies, procedures and work plans;
2) Supervision and training of subordinate personnel;
3) Budgetary control and fiscal management of funds and expenditures related to project operations, maintenance and repair of project facilities, etc.;
4) Evaluation of operating and maintenance costs and practices to obtain maximum efficiency and economy;
5) Rental and occupancy activities involving tenant selection, dwelling unit assignment, surveys of local rent and utility rates, setting and/or collecting rents and charges; and
6) Community and tenant relations including development of cooperative dealings and harmonious relationships, adjustment of complaints, assistance on problems of health, safety, recreation and social welfare needs of tenants.
B. Progressively responsible work in real property management as an employee or agent of a real estate firm, bank, insurance company, etc., engaged in the control and conduct of multiple unit residential housing operations, private housing developments, shopping centers, etc.
Such work must have provided the applicant with a knowledge of, and experience in most of the following activities:
1) Establishment of rent schedules;
2) Property rental, lease negotiation and preparation;
3) Property maintenance and repair which included responsibility for the efficient and economical maintenance of the property and the protection of the owner's investment through property inspections and effecting needed repairs and alterations; and
4) Fund management; i.e., the installation and maintenance of fiscal accountability control procedures and records to reflect income and expenses.
Of the required Specialized Experience, at least one year of Specialized Experience must have been at the level of difficulty and responsibility comparable to work of the Public Housing Supervisor III in the State service, OR two years of work comparable to the Public Housing Specialist II in the State service. For example,
The Public Housing Supervisor III assists in the control and operation of public housing projects in a designated area or district. The work may include conducting special studies and preparing reports in assigned areas of public housing opereations and assisting in the direction of area staff. A position in this staff may be delegated responsibility to take final action in designated areas of public housing and may represent the supervisor at meetings.
The Public Housing Specialist II performs the full range of assignments in one or more functional areas of public housing operations; may serve as a supervisory trainee; and performs other related duties as assigned.
Supervisory Aptitude: Supervisory aptitude rather than actual supervisory experience may be accepted. Supervisory aptitude is the demonstration of aptitude or potential for the performance of supervisory duties through successful completion of regular or special assignments which involve some supervisory responsibilities or aspects; by serving as a group or team leader, or in similar work in which opportunities for demonstrating supervisory capabilities exist; by completion of training courses in supervision accompanied by application of supervisory skills in work assignments; or by favorable appraisals by a supervisor indicating the possession of supervisory potential.
Substitutions Allowed: Relevant substitutions as described in the Minimum Qualification Requirements, will apply.
License: Applicants must possess a valid driver's license.
The information provided above represents a summary of the complete Minimum Qualification Requirements . To view the Requirements in their entirety, please CLICK HERE .
The examination for this recruitment will be conducted on an unassembled basis where the examination score is based on an evaluation and rating of your education and experience. It is therefore important that your employment application provide a clear and detailed description of the duties and responsibilities of each position you held.
CLICK HERE for further information about Equal Employment Opportunity, the Merit Civil Service System, Citizenship and other requirements, Reasonable Accommodation, Veterans Preference, Examination Requirements, and the State Recruiting Office's Levels of Review.
State of Hawaii - 22 months ago