Senior ICBM Systems Engineer
United States-Louisiana-Barksdale AFB
US Citizenship Required for this Position
Relocation assistance will be available
Number of Openings
The Senior Engineer/Chief Scientist is responsible for ensuring all technical/engineering aspects of the Air Force’s (AF) Minuteman III (MM III Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) Reentry System Reentry Vehicle (RSRV) Integrated Product Team are correct and issues/problems are identified timely and thoroughly to provide best value to the US Air Force customer while not compromising the current performance of the critical interfaces with the Department of Energy (DOE) components in the Reentry Vehicle(s). The candidate will work with the ICBM Senior Engineering Review Team (SERT) to develop advanced technological ideas and approaches that solve ongoing technical problems or avoid experiencing technical programs throughout the MM III Weapon System (WS) while considering the MM III WS short and long range goals and objectives; provide Senior Engineering support to AF ICBM RSRV programs such as Mk21 RV Fuze refurbishment, conversion of operational RV to test RV, Joint Fuze development and acquisition, test equipment upgrades/replacements, and Warhead Life Extension Programs (LEP); and ensure system engineering rigor and consistency is brought to bear to all RSRV technical efforts. Candidate must also be able to support advanced projects or programs as defined by the Government such as Pen Aids, alternate RV fuze battery technology, RV nose tip material for improved erosion capability, etc.
• PhD in a technical field and 20 years of technical related ICBM Reentry Vehicle experience.
• Requires exceptionally strong nuclear warhead background and expert-level technical knowledge.
• Requires highly advanced understanding of complex ICBM reentry systems including ballistic missile flight trajectories of RVs to produce the required damage expectancy.
• Must be a technical expert in MM III RV velocity-reentry angle trajectory constraints and plasma effects on radar performance during reentry.
• Must have a working knowledge of the nuclear surety constraints levied on the Minuteman III weapon system.
• Working knowledge of ICBM RV performance through earth atmospheric entry (at hypersonic speed) and performance through a nuclear event; and test and assessment techniques required to evaluate RSRV performance, given several components have surpassed their original design life by several years.
• Top Secret security clearance
Nuclear weapon design experience preferred. Familiar with DOE operations and technical support organizations (Lawrence Livermore, Los Alamos and Sandia National Labs) highly desirable.
Northrop Grumman Corporation is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products, and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems and technical services to government and commercial customers worldwide.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Northrop Grumman - 14 months ago
Northrop Grumman is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions in aerospace, electronics,...