This position is for a Linux System Administrator to support our VA Mobile projects. This position is responsible for designing, installing and maintaining Linux systems in a cloud computing, Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) environment. The Linux Administrator will help identify and resolve system and end user issues and take part in maintaining a highly available environment with excellent uptime.
- Configuration, management, monitoring, maintenance and troubleshooting of all Linux Servers.
- Design, implement and manage disaster recovery plan for servers.
- Employ high availability strategy for all Linux servers to provide excellent uptime.
- Fulfill provisioning orders for new server deployments.
- Upgrade Linux servers as needed, OS and firmware.
- Work closely with development teams to deploy and support internal applications.
- Script creation to automate repetitive administration and application tasks.
- System monitoring and performance with OS tools and COTS software.
- Implement and support production changes in compliance with configuration management.
- Perform analysis of environment to provide continuous improvements and efficiencies.
- Create operational procedures and design documentation.
- Monitor system resource utilization and load on systems.
- Perform capacity planning by analyzing trending and resource growth reports.
- Troubleshoot and resolve system performance issues.
Desired Skills & Experience
- At least 8 years experience administering Linux in an enterprise environment.
- Advance knowledge of Linux including installation, administration and troubleshooting.
- Thorough understanding of TCP/IP Stack.
- In-depth knowledge of SAN and devices present to the OS.
- Administration of DNS, hosts file, NTP, NFS, & SSH.
- Able to write scripts using bash, ksh & Perl and other common Linux utilities.
- Strong understanding of virtualization in environments such as VMWare and MS Hyper-V
- Strong Apache experience
- Experience with LDAP and Kerberos
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic work environment.
- Clustering, replication, and other high-availability technologies.
- Strong shell scripting skill for task automation.
- Experience with kickstart, Puppet, Git, Subversion and/or Ant.
- U.S. citizenship required .