SEIU JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title : New Media Capacity Specialist Grade : PS1
# of Available Positions : 2
Purpose : This position is responsible for providing daily tier-one support for SEIU campaigns and locals using the content management system, advocacy tools, blast emailer, and text messaging database offered by the International.
Primary Responsibilities : (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Answer tickets (requests for New Media support from Local Unions and SEIU campaigns) in timely manner
- Provide daily tier-one support for locals using content management systems, online advocacy tools, mass-email tools, and text messaging services offered by the International Union
- Answer basic questions about online organizing including: video, social networks, and other online tools
- Conduct introductory Content Management System trainings on use of WordPress or MovableType at Local Unions and SEIU campaigns
- Coordinate with IT, new media development team, campaign leads, and external vendors on ongoing basis to resolve requests for support adequately
- Help manage relationships with vendors: report bugs, ensure timely resolution, contribute to long-term platform development brainstorming
- Develop additional educational resources for local and campaign staff (ie: wiki, list-serves, recorded webinars, etc)
Include all SEIU locals, International and affiliate staff, consultants, vendors, and other experts on technology and communications issues.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Director of the New Media Department
Education and Experience :
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university and one year of experience with activism or organizing in labor, politics, or non-profit setting; using online tools and/or internet for social activism; and customer support with experience in one or more of the following: blogs, websites, databases, social media and/or online petitions.
Or, a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of organizing either online or offline
- Ability to use Macs, or willingness to learn
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology, and communications best practices
- Knowledge of political processes
- Knowledge of problem solving through internet research
- Has proven experience using one or more of the following tools (or another equivalent tool):
- Knowledge of Blogs
- Knowledge of Websites
- Knowledge of Databases
- Knowledge of Social Media
- Knowledge of Online Petitions
- Ability to perform self-directing learning
- Ability to self-teach through internet research, reading documentation, or trial and error on computer programs and internet platforms
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel may be required (up to 35%).
Probationary period : Thirty six (36) calendar weeks.
DEPARTMENT: New Media
BUDGET CODE: 42S-GENL
Service Employees International Union - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard