Any of the following will qualify (see Note on selective certification):
1. Historic Site Option: A baccalaureate degree in American history, American studies, anthropology, archaeology, art history, geology, cultural geography, museology, history, or historical geography.
2. Museum Option: A baccalaureate degree in American history, American studies, anthropology, archaeology, art history, cultural geography, historic preservation, history, historical geography, museum studies, museology, or fine arts.
3. Preservation Area Option: A baccalaureate degree in forestry, wildlife or natural resource management, botany, biology, or ecology.
4. Historic Preservation Option: A baccalaureate degree in American history, American studies, anthropology, archaeology, art history, geology, cultural geography, museology, history, or historical geography.
All positions are of the Historic Site, Preservation Area, Historic Preservation or Museum type and selective certification for the specific option will automatically be granted upon the agency's request.
Any college hours or degree must be from a school accredited by one of the following regional accrediting bodies: the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools; the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Incorporated; the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools; the Northwest Association of Secondary and Higher Schools; the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools; the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
LOCATION & POSITION INFORMATION:
DUTIES: Perform professional work in support of the development, fabrication, and installation of exhibits; monitors the collections and artifacts; and provides input for community programs related to the exhibits
- This position is located at the Presbytere Museum in New Orleans, LA
- This position is in a Career Progression Group to a Curator 3 and may be filled as a Curator 1, 2 or 3 based on the qualifications of the selected applicant
- The maximum annual salary for the Curator 3 is $66,685. Please refer to the "Job Specifications" tab located at the top of the LA Careers "Current Job Opportunities page" for specific information on salary ranges, minimum qualification requirements and job concepts for each level.
ONLINE: Click on the "Apply" link above and complete an electronic application which can be used for this vacancy as well as future job opportunities.
- If interested, applicant may apply in accordance with one of the following below:
PAPER: Although applying online is the preferred method, paper applications are still accepted. Paper applications may be mailed or faxed using the contact information provided below. The paper application is available for download at: http://www.civilservice.la.gov/Forms/EmploymentApplication.pdf
- Please submit a copy of all applicable college transcript(s) to your application. This may be done by way of an attachment to your online application and/or by fax/mail with your paper application.
- Applicant using an international degree as a basis to qualify for the position must attach an equivalency evaluation statement.
For further information about this vacancy, contact:
- While we would encourage all interested applicants to apply, please be aware that there are various reasons that your application may be disqualified from consideration including, but not limited to:
- Submission of a resume and/or SF-10 application in lieu of the online application or official Louisiana employment application as referenced above;
- Failure to fully complete the education and work experience sections of the application;
- Failure to submit an equivalency evaluation statement for an international degree by the closing of this announcement;
- Failure to include the job title, job number CRT-2013-47938-CSH and completed supplemental questions (if applicable) with a paper application submission;
- Failure to submit a paper application (by postmark, if mailed; or by date/time stamp, if faxed) by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date of this announcement.
Casey Hickman, HR Analyst
Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism
PO Box 94361
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9361
The Office of the Lieutenant Governor and the Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism are participants in the E-Verify system for identification and employment eligibility purposes.
Function of Work:
To perform and supervise the curatorial activities for a museum or historic sites program.
Level of Work:
General from a Curator 2 or 3, Historic Site or Recreation Area Manager, Parks District Manager, Museum Division Director, Historic Preservation Director, Archives Assistant Administrator, Architectural Historian Manager, or other higher ranking agency administrator.
Functional over lower ranking museum or historic area personnel.
Location of Work:
Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism; Office of State Parks, Office of State Museum, Office of Cultural Development, Division of Historic Preservation; or Department of State or other agency responsible for operating a small museum (visitation of less than 50,000; less than 5 permanent employees).
Differs from Curator 2 by the absence of responsibility for a larger museum/program.
Examples of Work:
Performs curatorial activities for a museum program at a state park Level I commemorative, preservation, or recreation area.
Plans, constructs, and displays exhibits both in the museum and on site.
Schedules and conducts tours; develops oral presentations for such tours.
Selects and assigns tour guides and maintenance staff.
Develops and implements conservation and preservation plans of historical artifacts and buildings.
Maintains records, prepares reports, and conducts correspondence regarding the museum or historic preservation program.
Performs research to develop interpretative items.
Performs accessing and cataloging activities of museum materials.
Catalogues site forms on historic buildings and places, checks and continually accessions additional site forms for inventory.
Develops projects to produce measured architectural drawings of landmark buildings, checks for quality and maintains archival collections.
Prepares and presents slide presentations and speeches to interested groups on and off site.
Louisiana Department of State Civil Service - 19 months ago