Guidance Counselor, Cesar Chavez Academy High School
Organizes and implements activities related to academic and career planning for high school students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Provide academic, career and personal consultation for Academy students, with the purpose of supporting their pre-college or career preparation activities, such as co-op, internship or other exploratory activities; aptitude and skills testing; self-assessment; college applications; college visits; financial aid applications; and other relevant activities.
• Provide feedback and consultation to parents/guardians and staff regarding student counseling activities.
• Assist with, or coordinate, class and student scheduling; monitor student schedules and academic progress to ensure students are progressing toward high school graduation requirements in an acceptable manner.
• Assist the leadership team in understanding and implementing graduation requirements and in ensuring that the school curriculum meets associated standards.
• Develop support services activities for students designed to strengthen their academic performance as well as their adjustment to school and life such as Big Brothers/Big Sisters, drug awareness activities, character education, etc.
• Team with social worker, school leader and assistant school leader in the development and implementation of student behavior management activities.
• Provide referrals to appropriate professionals in the school and/or the outside community for students who need additional support or assistance.
• Evaluate student needs related to career and college preparation; may present formal lessons to students regarding life choices which support academic, career, and personal/social development.
• Develop and nurture strong relationships with colleges and potential employers to generate a wide variety of potential college or career opportunities for graduating students.
• Typically serves as faculty advisor for one or more student activities, such as graduation, prom, and others.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
- Teaching certificate with guidance counseling endorsement preferred.
- 1-3 years school counseling experience or the equivalent, providing the skills and knowledge necessary to plan and implement meaningful and effective guidance and counseling activities.
- Excellent skills in project planning and in coordinating multiple short- and long-term projects.
- Evidence of successful experience in employee/parent relations.
The Leona Group - 20 months ago