For over 30 years, in more than 90 countries, IntraHealth International has empowered health workers to better serve communities in need. IntraHealth fosters local solutions to health care challenges by improving health worker performance, strengthening health systems, harnessing technology, and leveraging partnerships.
In collaboration with governments, nongovernmental organizations, and private-sector organizations around the world, IntraHealth champions the needs and contributions of health workers—from doctors and nurses to community health workers to health facility managers—and works to ensure they have the tools, supplies, information, training, and support they need to provide communities they serve with the best possible opportunity for health and well-being.
IntraHealth International is seeking a Technical Writer and Editor (Communications Officer) to be based in the Chapel Hill, North Carolina office.
The Technical Writer and Editor supports IntraHealth’s efforts to demonstrate its technical leadership by expanding IntraHealth’s presence in peer-reviewed literature and other external outlets and by increasing the quantity and quality of the technical products and resources that we publish ourselves. He/she participates in team-based workflow with other members of the communications and knowledge management team toward mutual goals related to increasing the visibility of IntraHealth’s technical work. This position also works closely with program, project and monitoring and evaluation directors and staff to support the implementation of a technical communications calendar. He/she must be well versed in the organization’s technical fields, country-level activities and monitoring and evaluation plans and strategies. He/she is also well-versed in peer-reviewed publishing in the arena of global health and international development. He/she will bring the expertise and versatility to produce high quality work in a variety of assignments ranging from writing technical articles and commentaries to editing journal submissions and other publications to coordinating processes and projects. The position reports to the Assistant Director of Communications and Knowledge Management.
• Support implementation of IntraHealth technical communications calendar in alignment with the organizational communications priorities and the goals of the program/technical team
• Assist technical staff to publish by identifying appropriate and strategic outlets and reviewing and editing drafts
• Edit peer-reviewed journal submissions for content and to conform with stylistic and other publications guidelines of the particular journal
• Write technical articles and commentaries, blogs, and other content for publication
• Collaborate with website team to develop and promote technical content on IntraHealth’s website
• Participate in team-based workflow and strategic planning as part of the communications team
• Coordinate and track conference abstract submission process and support development of presentations and posters
• Contribute to strategic planning for technical publications with the program/technical and monitoring and evaluation directors and teams and build and maintain relationships with technical staff to promote and assist in fulfilling technical publications goals
• Compile and report data on technical publications goals
• Proofing, formatting, and other duties as necessary.
Bachelor’s degree and at least 4 years relevant work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree in public health, health communications, or related field a plus. 3-5 years of experience editing and writing technical communications and publications for external audiences. Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of the field of global public health and the outlets for peer-reviewed publishing in the field. Expertise in writing for different types of audiences using different communications formats.
• Excellent technical writing, editing, presentation and interpersonal communication skills
• Willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 10% time
• Fluency in written and spoken English. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish highly desirable
• Strong organization and attention to detail
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
• Excellent team building, management, and negotiating skills.
• Familiarity with PDF/Adobe Acrobat Professional
IntraHealth International, Inc. - 2 years ago