The salary stated is the entire pay range. Starting salaries are typically the minimum or within the first 20% of the salary range and are based on the applicant's qualifications and experience as well as organizational considerations.
Positions in this job classification are responsible for purchasing a wide variety of equipment, materials and supplies in a cost efficient manner. In addition, this position will be responsible for preparing bid specifications, securing quotations and analyzing bids as well as reviewing, completing, and pricing requisitions for equipment and services.
The function of this position is to administer contracts and procure goods and services to include construction and services. Additional duties include but are not limited to working with electronic bid system, preparing slides, reports, maintaining records of bids, quotes, and other bid and contract related documentation, administering the County's surplus property, and purchasing card program for all departments in accordance with the County's Procurement Code and other federal, state, and local laws and regulations. There are no managerial responsibilities associated with this position.
Examples of Duties:
- Develop solicitation packages with client department ensuring the contract type ties to the statement of work or specification and applicable and appropriate terms and conditions are used.
- Evaluate bids for compliance to specifications and make recommendation for award.
- Conduct bid conferences and bid openings.
- Respond to inquiries from departments, bidders, and vendors.
- Review and issue addenda to bids.
- Prepare IFB's, RFQ's, change orders, contract modifications, etc. with appropriate terminology, compliance to established rules, regulations and audits for completeness of the package.
- Perform cost and price analysis, effectively documenting the procurement history and actions taken.
- Make sourcing decisions, conduct negotiations including planning and development of strategy and tactics to reach objectives and negotiate contract changes as appropriate.
- Conduct contract administration activities reserved for Procurement and ensure contract compliance.
- Perform self-audits as assigned for solicitation and contract files.
- Professionally resolve problems (both internal and external) in a fair and ethical manner while protecting the long-term interest of the County.
- Observe high standard of business ethics and integrity ensuring honesty and fairness and the process is above reproach.
- Prepare contracts and all related contract documents to include bonds and insurance certificates meeting County standards.
- Initiate contract renewals and modifications.
- Monitor vendor contract performance and evaluate and prepare any change to the contract.
- Audit requisitions.
- Administer procurement programs (P-card and Surplus)
- Resolve deviations from contract specifications.
- Research new products and procurement trends.
- Utilize other public agency cooperative contracts as appropriate.
- Perform related work as required.
A Bachelor's degree and at least three years of public purchasing experience, preferably for a federal, state or local government agency; or any equivalent combination of training, procurement educational coursework, P-card program administration, ERP/automated procurement systems and experience.
Development of specifications, solicitations, and applicable procurement documents; contract administration; problem resolution; High standard of business ethics and integrity.
Certified Public Procurement Officer (CPPO) and Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) certifications or other accreditations are desired. Experience in conducting formal Request for Proposals, invitation for Bids and other procurement techniques.
Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications. Experience with an ERP process is highly desirable. Sound business understanding, articulate with good verbal and written communication skills, proven organizational and planning skills, experience in successful negotiations, good interpersonal skills, good mathematical aptitude and have a knowledge of quality assurance. Team oriented. Familiar with purchasing systems and organizational interfaces.
SELECTION AND APPOINTMENT : A selection committee will evaluate the qualifications of each applicant which will include recentness and appropriateness of the applicant's education and experience, answers to the supplemental questions, results of employment references investigated and any other appropriate information available.
The selection committee will admit to the interview only those persons who possess the most job related qualifications and may establish admittance criteria beyond the minimum qualifications stated above. The interview will comprise 100% of the applicant's earned grade. A candidate must earn a qualifying grade of 70 or more on the interview to be eligible for appointment.
The five top ranking candidates, based on the final grade, will be certified to the Department Director/Appointing Authority who will make the final decision.
All applicants conditionally offered a permanent part time, full time, term or on-call position will be required to submit to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Screening will be performed by a reputable clinical laboratory. The cost of screening will be bourne by the County.
HOW TO APPLY : Applicants interested in applying for this position should visit our website at www.stlouisco.com/personnel/jobsearch or apply in person at St. Louis County Government, Division of Personnel located at 41 S. Central 7th Floor, Clayton, Missouri 63105.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY : The policy of the Civil Service Commission of St. Louis County is to support fair and equitable employment opportunities for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability/handicap condition, sexual orientation, marital status, veterans' status or political affiliation. Call the Division of Personnel at (314) 615-5429 for more information on this policy.
St. Louis County
Division of Personnel, 7th Floor
Clayton, MO 63105
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Hearing Impaired TTY: (314) 615-5889
Job Opportunity Hotline: (314) 615-JOBS
Fax: (314) 615-7703