Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 250 company, Unum helps protect more than 25 million working people and their families in the event of illness or injury.
Headquartered in Chattanooga Tennessee , Unum has significant U.S. operations in Portland , Maine , Worcester , Massachusetts and Glendale , California with 35 field offices nationwide. We will fill this position in Chattanooga, TN.
This position is part of our Tax Accounting and Reporting organization. This area is responsible for determining federal and state income tax expense for US GAAP and statutory reporting purposes, as well as for planning and forecasting. This area is also responsible for the preparation of all required US GAAP and statutory notes and disclosures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares simple financial analysis for designated area and/or may prepare routine reports for manager.
- Prepares federal and state tax return adjustments; evaluates and applies state and federal tax law and regulations; identifies, documents and researches various tax issues; prepares separate Federal and State income and/or premium tax returns.
- Interfaces with company departments to accumulate necessary data for tax provision and return adjustment calculations; may prepare deferred taxes for separate companies; prepares and allocates taxes to separate company and product lines; reconciles separate tax accounts.
- Develops negotiation and persuasion skills by partnering with manager to discuss issues and potential solutions with internal team members.
- Develops project management skills by keeping track of all projects involved in.
- Prepares, verifies, inputs data, reconciles discrepancies and assists with maintaining controls over accounting and reporting. Participates in monthly/quarterly activities.
- Begins using data analysis tools to understand the changes in financial data.
- Performs other duties as directed by supervisor.
Unum offers world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
- Any combination of education or experience equivalent to a four-year degree
- Treats others with fairness and respect. Represents Unum's highest ethical and professional standards at all times.
- Basic Finance knowledge, excel and word skills
- Takes advantage of available resources within functional area (peers, processes, tools).
- Problem solving skills
- Seeks opportunities to learn, develop and contribute to business goals and objectives
- Puts new knowledge, understanding, or skill to practical use on the job.
- Develops proficiency with data analysis tools by observing mentor.
- Develops an understanding of industry resources.
- Developing customer service skills.
- Developing to adapting to change skills as demonstrated by manager. Continues to work hard and stay committed to responsibilities.
- Furthers learning through experiences with duties.
- Displays initiative by assisting in achieving department goals.
- Developing partnering/teamwork skills within assigned area working closely with manager and/or mentor.
- Develops skills to communicate job related requests and explanations.
- Solicits and acts on feedback to increase competence.
Unum is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer regardless of a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, gender or sexual orientation.
Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company is a market leader in providing benefits solutions in one neat package: excellence in...