Representing the world's largest producer of power tools and accessories, you will spend your time in various Home Depot stores to maintain merchandising best practices, build relationships with store personnel, and drive business using your selling skills. We'll provide extensive skill set and product training on industry leading brands -- Black & Decker, DEWALT and Porter-Cable.
To be a good fit for this opportunity you will have a strong understanding of merchandising, sales, retail practices, and store operations. We're looking for an individual who is goal-oriented, self-driven and successful when working in a work a team-based environment and when working independently. We're also looking for someone who is persuasive in the use of selling skills and a strong problem solver to achieve desired results. You also will need excellent communication skills and the ability to work with diverse personalities. This is an active, hands-on role with a physical component and you'll need to be able to lift 75 pounds, down stock merchandise, and climb up and down ladders.
The Construction Do-it-yourself division, made up of Black & Decker, DEWALT, Porter-Cable, and Delta Machinery, Stanley Fat Max, Stanley Bostitch is a division of Stanley Black & Decker, a global manufacturer and marketer of power tools and security solutions systems. Stanley Black & Decker products and services are marketed in more than 100 countries, and we have manufacturing operations in eleven countries.
What Else You'll Bring to the Table
In addition to the qualifications detailed above, you'll need:
We will conduct a background check on all qualified applicants covering drugs, driving record, and criminal record.
- The organizational skills to maximize efficiency during store calls.
- A task orientation with the ability to take direction and successfully complete corporate marketing initiatives.
- The ability to strategically solve day-to-day store operational issues and effectively overcome objections and obstacles.
- Demonstrated consistent attention to detail.
- The ability to multi-task and work independently in a fast paced environment.
- The ability to think outside the box in an effort to create solutions and a willingness to learn new concepts and take feedback constructively.
- Enthusiasm for labor-intensive activities and working with your hands.
- Technical savvy and the ability to use a hand-held device such as a smart phone.
- A valid driver's license, your own vehicle/reliable transportation, and proof of car insurance.
What's in It for You
No two days the same -- if you love to be "out and about" rather than tied to a desk or single location, and prefer personal interaction to phone time, this is an ideal role for you. Each store will present different challenges, and you'll get hands-on with our products. In addition to interacting with the people who sell those products, you'll work with customers to advise them on the right tool to meet their needs.
Autonomy and flexibility -- you'll "own" your territory of ten to twelve stores, and we'll provide support when you need it and elbow room when you don't. This is a 40-hour work week and you'll work with your direct manager and team to create a schedule that allows you to be the most productive in your stores and territory. This schedule does allow you balance your career and other life goals. At the same time, we'll look to you remain flexible and willing to work some evenings and the occasional weekend.
High impact where it counts -- this role will put you on the front lines of our sales and marketing team, and you'll be responsible for millions of dollars in business. In addition to impacting the purchasing decisions of thousands of customers, you'll see first hand what works and what doesn't in our merchandising strategies. The feedback you'll provide will help shape those strategies.
Compensation -- these days, not many companies extend the comprehensive benefits package that we do, but it is a great illustration of the value we place in our team, and our commitment to supporting you. In addition to a competitive wage, we offer full benefits starting the first day of employment (medical, dental, vision, a 401(k) plan, and more), as well as a cell phone and mileage reimbursement program.
More About Your Role
While there is some variation from region to region, typically you will report to a Market Manager who also supervises five to ten other Retail Specialists. You also will be part of a Regional team that may include 25 members or more.
Home Depot is the number one distributor of Black & Decker, DEWALT, and Porter-Cable products, and you will call on a number of stores that are all within reasonable driving distance. Marketing and merchandising strategies are developed at the corporate level, and your mission will be to ensure those strategies are implemented "where the rubber meets the road."
In general you will visit one and sometimes two stores a day, rotating so that you call on each on a regular and frequent basis. You'll invest the majority of your time in maintaining merchandising fundamental best practices in each store, following plan-o-grams (display schemes created by our marketing teams) and other merchandising guidelines. This will include ensuring shelves are stocked, products and displays are clean, and point-of-purchase information is accurate.
Another important goal will be building rapport and maintaining relationships with the key decision makers in each store, to ensure complete and timely execution of merchandising initiatives and to make sure they have the resources and support they need from Stanley Black & Decker. This will set the stage for another objective: utilizing sales skills and being aggressive in driving incremental business at the store level through leveraging additional merchandising space and selling-in store specific sales driving initiatives.
Your activities also will include:
Keys to Success
- Executing monthly store objectives and implementing promotional initiatives.
- Enhancing the image of Black and Decker's brands at the retail level.
- Hosting in-store events.
- Interacting with retail customers as well as with Home Depot floor staff, including approaching customers and offering to answer questions.
- Tracking your activities regularly via a smart phone device.
If you see the impact you can make by taking real pride in your work and using some creativity, you will find just about every day rewarding. Our best Retail Specialists are self-motivated, trustworthy, hard working, energetic and enthusiastic, and have outgoing personalities. In addition, in order to stand out, you will:
If this sounds like the right mix of challenge and opportunity for you, and you meet the minimum qualifications, we want to hear from you!
- Maintain your product displays and fundamentals within the power tool aisles.
- Remain willing to get hands-on and dirty. Keeping your aisles clean will include scraping and cleaning shelves, affixing product labels, fixing signs, replacing missing/broken parts, and dusting and polishing fixtures.
- Bring a sales orientation -- with just a dash of aggressiveness -- to drive your goals and objectives.
- Take a proactive approach to building and maintaining relationships with the management in each store.
- Track sales successes and communicate results to store key decision makers in an effort to leverage additional sales driving initiatives at the store level.
Who We Are
Stanley Black & Decker is a global marketer and manufacturer of quality products used in and around the home and for commercial applications. We hire, develop, and reward great people who understand the importance of a strong culture that values integrity, commitment, teamwork, and diversity. We are a Fortune 500 company and are ranked as one of Fortune Magazine's Most Admired Companies.
Our employees have a passion for developing great products and innovative solutions that meet our customers' needs. By satisfying customers, we improve people's lives, and by doing so, create value for our stockholders -- providing a great future for our customers, our company, and our employees.
The Power Tools, Hand Tools and Accessories segment manufactures and markets power tools, lawn and garden products, portable power products, home products, and accessories under the Stanley®,Black & Decker®, DEWALT®, Porter-Cable® and Delta® names, as well as other trademarks and trade names. This segment also provides product service and operates factory outlet stores. Headquartered in Towson, Maryland
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Since 1843, we’ve set the standard for excellence in everything we do. No company on earth has a stronger or more compelling history...