The Network Engineer works under the direct supervision of a Lead Network Engineer, and assists with project management and reporting for network related initiatives, as well as the planning, design, implementation and management of all County network technologies. Provides technical leadership, and has assigned supervisory duties of instructing, assigning, directing and checking the work of assigned Network Technicians.
Salary Commensurate with Experience
EEOC CODE: 30
GRADE: 54 Minimum Qualifications 1. Two (2) years’ experience in planning, configuring, deployment and support of large-scale network environments; and
2. Graduation from a College or University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or other Computer related degree; or
3. Six (6) year's equivalent work related experience and training in Local Area and Wide Area (LAN/WAN) Network Technologies.
4. (Cisco or equivalent Network Certification and experience in large-scale LAN/WAN design, implementation and support strategies preferred.)
5. (PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED)
Special Requirements 1. Must pass Local and National NCIC Criminal Investigative Reports.
2. Must be on-call as required.
Duties and Responsibilities 1. Plans and leads complex network projects from inception to completion.
2. Assists in establishing, reviewing, and updating standards and procedures to support timely and effective project work.
3. Leads assigned project teams through effective coaching, training and evaluations.
4. Performs R&D activities on new and evolving network technologies.
5. Plans, designs, installs and supports network technologies and infrastructure, including routers, switches, firewalls, VPN, Wireless, DNS/DHCP, and other network tools and applications.
6. Assists in development and administration of standards and procedures associated with the implementation and support of network technologies, to include best practices for high availability network access, security and reporting.
7. Uses advanced network tools in problem analysis and network performance evaluations.
8. Assists in future needs analysis for acquisition.
9. Assists in presenting to management recommendations related to purchasing and installing hardware, software and networking technologies.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned or directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities 1. Skilled in project planning, design and implementation of large-scale LAN/WAN solutions.
2. Skilled in the use of project management and network planning tools.
3. Ability to successfully manage multiple network projects with varying priorities.
4. Skilled in complex problem solving in large scale network environments.
5. Skilled in working with LAN/WAN transport protocols and physical topologies (TCP/IP, IPX, Ethernet, ISDN, Frame-Relay, Fiber-optic & Other Cabling, etc.).
6. Skilled in the planning, configuration and support of network management technologies (SNMP, RMON, Orion, MRTG, Protocol Analyzers, etc.).
7. Skilled in the planning, configuration and support of network security technologies (Firewalls, IDS, VPN, Wireless Encryption, Certificates, etc.).
8. Skilled in the planning, design and deployment of network engineering considerations (Multi-protocol Routing, VoIP, QOS, NAT, DHCP, DNS, etc.).
9. High level ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
10. Skilled in maintaining network and service reference documentation.
11. Ability to interpret flow charts, block diagrams and related material; and to conduct program tests.
12. Ability to establish and maintain production and quality control in reference to computer and network operations.
13. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures.
14. Ability to write reports and routine business correspondence.
15. Demonstrates good interpersonal and communication skills in all work efforts with customers, management, and co-workers.
Work Location 160 N. Main, Memphis, Tennessee 38103 Shelby County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national origin or handicap status
Shelby County Government participates in E-Verify
Equal Opportunity Employer
Memphis and Shelby County Health Department
- 2 years ago - save job
Shelby County Health Care Corporation, dba Regional Medical Center at Memphis (The MED), provides a variety of health care services to the...