SEPTA is seeking a Manager of Labor Relations to be located in our downtown, Philadelphia headquarters.
This position is being re-posted. If you previously applied, you do not need to re-apply.
The successful candidate must have Bachelor's Degree and six (6) years applied experience in Labor Relations including direct experience administering labor agreements, arbitrating cases, and acting as hearing officer.
Salary range between $68,000 to $85,000.
BASIC ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Participate in the development of policies in the immediate manager's organization, and interpret such policies throughout the department.
2. Develop objectives, policies and procedures for the approval of immediate manager.
3. Interpret and administer programs and procedures in accordance with approved policies.
4. Perform special assignments for immediate manager as requested.
5. Report performance to immediate manager.
6. Coordinate expense budget spending for department to maintain performance within budget.
7. Develop a suitable successor and be responsible for training replacements at all levels within the department.
Provides Labor Relations expertise while representing the Authority's interest in union contract negotiations, conducting grievance hearings and meetings with union officers and officials.
1. Develop and maintain an in depth knowledge of authority collective bargaining agreements and labor relations policies in order to provide day to day labor relations guidance to operating departments.
2. Meets with Union Officers and Officials to discuss problem areas and present changes in policies and practices. Attempts to establish cooperative Labor/Management efforts to resolve/avoid problems. Creates innovative solutions to problems.
3. Monitors operating department application of labor agreements. Determines areas where training is needed. Assists in the preparation of training courses and conducts training as assigned.
4. Represents SEPTA as team member in negotiations with all unions. Attends negotiations and provides support information, as necessary. May serve on sub-committee as lead spokesperson or as team member.
5. Provides research in preparation for negotiations.
6. Coordinates labor relations activities with operating and administrative departments.
7. Collects data, prepares reports, spreadsheets, and graphics as directed utilizing Excel, Power Point, and other software.
8. Implements, plans, directs and conducts on-going meeting productivity meetings with all labor unions. Attempts resolution of problems before they reach grievance stage.
9. Represents the Authority in unemployment compensation hearings and before public law boards and arbitration.
10. Monitors and ensures compliance with statues or regulations as issued by Federal, State, and Transportation Agencies.
11. Investigates inquiries from outside sources and prepares departmental response.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree and six (6) years applied experience in Labor Relations including direct experience administering labor agreements, arbitrating cases, and acting as hearing officer.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience (two (2) years of related experience equating to one (1) year of formal education) may be considered.
- Master's Degree in Industrial Relations preferred.
- Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills required.
- Experience with all Micro-soft applications including Excel and Power Point required.
- Candidate must submit a writing sample as part of the application process. This can be added into the resume field, page 6 of the on-line application.
SEPTA - 2 years ago
The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, known as SEPTA, provides passenger transportation services in the Philadelphia area....