Start Date: July 2013
About Achievement First:
Achievement First is a non-profit charter school management organization that is creating a network of achievement-gap-closing public schools in New York, Connecticut and other high-need areas in the Northeast. Achievement First currently operates 22 schools in Brooklyn, NY, and New Haven, Bridgeport and Hartford, CT (and will expand to Rhode Island in 2013). Over the next five years, Achievement First plans to open 10-15 additional schools, spanning the full K-12 spectrum and creating college-prep opportunities for more than 12,000 urban students. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country. For more information about the Achievement First mission, model, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org .
Teaching at Achievement First:
Achievement First invites passionate educators to apply for the position of Elementary Music Teacher for the 2013-14 school year. Teaching at Achievement First is an ideal position for an educator with deep passion for instruction who is eager to gain rigorous development to help perfect his/her craft. In addition to participating in weekly professional development and team planning meetings, teachers receive consistent high-impact coaching and feedback from a school administrator or teacher-leader. Furthermore, Achievement First has recently launched Teacher Career Pathway, a systematic, coordinated approach to recognizing and developing great teachers as they progress through five career stages. These stages were developed to celebrate excellent teachers and are accompanied by increased compensation, recognition and professional development opportunities. Achievement First is committed to recruiting, developing and retaining excellent teachers.
Responsibilities of Achievement First School Teachers Include but Are Not Limited to:
- Outstanding academic achievement and student character development
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning environment that excites and invests students.
- Motivate students to realize high academic and behavioral standards.
- Build classroom community by investing families in children’s academic success and development of REACH values (REACH stands for Respect, Enthusiasm, Achievement, Citizenship and Hard work).
- Utilize data from Achievement First’s interim assessments to drive instruction and intervention.
- Design and implement unit and lesson plans in collaboration with grade or subject team.
- Hold all students accountable during transitions, meals, trips and school events.
- Exemplify AF’s core values in all interactions with students, families and colleagues.
Skills and Characteristics
- Professional learning, development, and growth
- Collaborate with coach, grade-level chair and school team to improve instructional, culture-building and leadership skills.
- Attend all professional development, team planning and data analysis meetings.
- Participate enthusiastically in structured and informal learning and development opportunities.
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- High level of personal organization and planning.
- Team player: maturity, humility, strong work ethic, follow-through, sense of humor, willingness to respond positively to feedback and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
- Strong belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Two years of teaching experience preferred with a proven record of high student achievement.
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university; Master’s degree preferred.
- Valid state certification required by July 2013.
Salary for this position is very competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package. Teachers receive funds for supplies and materials as well as a laptop computer.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Learn more about diversity and inclusion at Achievement First at http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.