The Student Support Specialist (SSS) is the personal guide through a student’s progression in UNE’s online programs. The SSS provides concierge-type assistance to guide the administrative questions of the student and monitor progression to graduation. Basic job functions include contacting students via phone, and providing them with the administrative information that they will need in order to complete their academic program; this involves assisting them with course registration information, withdrawals, and updating students on any of their other academic program requirements.
- Work with new, continuing and resuming students by developing and implementing highly proactive outreach services with particular attention paid to retention and student success.
- Partner with academic departments to create streamlined communication strategy between instructors and SSS.
- Collaborate with Enrollment Counselors to facilitate smooth transition from prospect to student.
- Monitor student performance, analyze problem areas, determine solutions and conduct intervention activities and processes.
- Guide and monitor student progress regarding issues such as student orientation, course selection and registration, course materials, billing and navigating the online courses.
- Provide high touch support to students and act as the student’s main point of contact during their program of study.
- Communicate course information and required course materials to students to ensure preparedness well in advance of course start dates.
- Evaluate student’s abilities, interests and personality characteristics in order to provide regular guidance and support activities.
- Complete all tasks as defined in the timelines assigned.
- Proactively contact students by telephone and email to build and maintain relationships for retention purposes.
- Advise students on university policies (registration, withdrawal, course materials, financial aid, etc.).
- Maintain accurate and complete student enrollment records as required by university governance and all laws, policies and administrative regulations and policies, to include keeping accurate information in the CRM.
- Follow up with students that contact other departments to insure resolution of issue
- Identify and respond to student at-risk behaviors by offering additional support and counseling.
- Meet or exceed student retention program metrics each term.
- Implement re-entry initiatives to bring inactive students back into the program.
- Work various shifts to accommodate inquiries in various time zones. The earliest shift begins at 8:30am and the latest shift concludes at 10:00pm EST.
- Some Saturday hours may be required.
- Embrace lifelong learning and pursue self-improvement actively and independently.
- Participate in and provide feedback to other team members and to your manager to address sales tactics, best practices and strategies.
- Collaborate with University offices including academic departments, admissions, financial aid, student accounts, and registrar.
* Background check may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree plus up to three years of relevant customer service experience in a fast-paced corporate environment or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired. Up to two years of experience in higher education administration or student services desirable.
- Ability and passion for building strong personal relationships and serving others
- Experience with spreadsheets, databases, presentation software and word processing
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication, and creative problem solving skills
- Ability and willingness to work some nights each week
- Ability to relate well with others and perform duties with a high degree of integrity, confidentiality, and adherence to professional ethical standards
- High level of customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking skills and high level of attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure of deadlines and/or time limitations