Jackson County is looking to recruit, hire and retain the best employees!
Pre-Employment Requirements and/or Preferences:
- 3 positions available.
- Must pass a criminal background check prior to hire.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen prior to hire.
- Must submit an acceptable DMV certified court print prior to hire
Job Duties and Requirements:
Under general supervision, to participate in landscaping, maintaining and improving county parks and other public and contract landscape properties; to remove vegetation in right-of-way road areas; and to maintain related equipment and supplies.
II. Example of Principle Duties and Position Functions:
III. Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Manually removes weeds from landscaped areas using hand tools or hand pulling.
- Rakes up and removes leaves, grass clippings and other debris from turf and shrub beds.
- Mows and trims turf using large power mowers. Diagnoses watering issues and turf damage.
- Operates various small trucks and trailers, tractors, push mowers, power trimmers, leaf blowers and other related equipment on county maintained properties and right-of-ways. May operate light or medium automotive or other equipment as necessary.
- Maintains and renovates turf using seed mixtures and fertilizers recommended for particular soil type and location. Aerates, over seeds, and top dresses when required.
- Installs, repairs, maintains, and operates automated irrigation systems.
- Plants, maintains and prunes a wide variety of plants, shrubs and small trees using a variety of hand held and power tools.
- Flags traffic in work zones on roadways.
- Works alone as well as in a team environment.
- Drive vehicles for county business.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
IV. Education and Experience:
- Ability to follow instructions and take directions.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other staff and those contacted in the course of work.
- Adheres to County and departmental policies and procedures as well as safe work practices, policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
V. Licenses, Certificates and Other Requirements:
- Must be 18 years old. High school diploma or equivalent. Position requires good physical condition with strength and stamina to do heavy manual labor for extended periods in all kinds of weather; ability to understand and follow oral and written direction; and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
VI. Physical Demands and Working Environment:
- Valid Oregon State Drivers License with acceptable driving history.
- Work is performed primarily outdoors with exposure to a variety of weather conditions.
- Exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, noxious odors, gases, and all types of weather and temperature conditions.
Employees will have a flexible work schedule which may require shortened or extended hours including evenings and weekends.
- Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an outdoor environment over uneven terrain; walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time; frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, and twist; push, pull, lift, and/or carry moderate to heavy amounts of weights (up to 75lbs).
- Operate assigned equipment and vehicles.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
JACKSON COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability. Upon request, special accommodations and/or assistance will be gladly provided for any applicant with sensory or non-sensory impairments. Because of the Immigration Reform Act of 1986, persons hired by the county must be able to present acceptable documents verifying identity and authorization to work in the United States. For a copy of Jackson County’s Equal Employment Opportunity Plan, visit our web site at
or call 541-774-6036.
Jackson County, OR - 18 months ago