Perform HVAC work such as maintaining, repairing and operating HVAC equipment including reciprocating and centrifugal chillers, self-contained air conditioning units, refrigeration equipment in laboratories and dining service facilities, fan coil units, air handling units and fans. Make adjustments and repairs to pneumatic, electric and electronic control components. Monitor and control equipment via computer interfaces. Requisition job parts and supplies. Inspect and monitor maintenance and repair functions and system equipment operations. Perform other duties as required, including operation of on and off-road utility vehicles and trucks.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Graduation from a trades certification or
apprenticeship program as a journeyman HVAC or Air Conditioning mechanic.
- Universal/CFC management training.
- EPA CFC Universal certification.
- Valid Pennsylvania driver's license (or equivalent for
- A City of Pittsburgh Stationary Engineers License.
- Experience: Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a
journeyman level HVAC mechanic.
- Ability to perform all HVAC related work described
- Read and interpret blue prints and schematic diagrams.
- Familiarity with building codes.
- Physical Mobility:
- Ability to move and work in confined spaces, up and
down ladders and to work from ladders, scaffolding and bucket truck
- Travel to jobs over a 93-acre campus with many hills
- Operate on and off road vehicle or light trucks on
support of assigned work.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds from ground to overhead.
- Environmental Conditions: Occasionally work outside
during inclement conditions. Ability to pass a physical exam for clearance
to wear protective apparatus when working near hazards.
- Must be able to work independently and make
appropriate decisions as to when additional help is needed to correct
- Must be able to work effectively with other crafts
employees and deal with difficult people effectively.
- Ability to pass a physical exam for clearance to wear
a respirator when working near hazardous environments.
- Other: Must be a member of, or agrees to join Local
#95, International Union of Operating Engineers. Willingness to work
shifts, overtime and call-out work.
- Education: Factory (or equivalent) training in the
maintenance and repair of large centrifugal chillers, direct digital
control systems and/or other specialty type HVAC topics.
- Licenses: City of Pittsburgh Stationary Engineers
License, Certification as operating engineer.
- Experience: Minimum three years HVAC maintenance
experience in a large institutional (college, university, hospital, etc.)
setting. Additional experience in HVAC system and DDC installations.
Regular Full Time
Minimum Education Level
25.69 - 25.69 US Dollars Hourly
Carnegie Mellon University - 12 months ago
We are a global research university with more than 12,000 students, 92,000 alumni and 5,000 faculty and staff. Carnegie Mellon has been a...