The Research Protections Analyst: Safety Committees provides specialized administrative support, regulatory compliance review and assists with the management of specific regulatory committees in the Methodist Hospital Research Institute. These include the Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC), Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), Hazardous Substance Committee (HSC) and Radiation Safety Committee (RSC).
The Research Protections Analyst will assist the Manager to ensure appropriate compliance with institutional and accrediting agency regulations, and guidelines and the operations of the IACUC, IBC, HSC and RSC. The Research Protections Analyst must be able to acquire the regulatory and policy knowledge for operation of these regulatory committees.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Does not have direct or indirect patient care responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists with the operation of the IACUC, IBC, and HSC and RSC. (EF)
2. Works with Committee Chairs, Members and TMHRI and TMHS administrators to assure that issues and concerns relevant to multiple committees are communicated appropriately. (EF)
3. Assists scientific staff and post-docs on preparation and submission of Animal Use Protocols and HSC and IBC applications. (EF)
4. Assists the Manager with scheduling IACUC bi-annual program and facility reviews and to assure timely follow-up and reporting. (EF)
5. Interfaces with Research Technology to optimize electronic submission process.
6. Adheres to the I CARE Values and Service Pride Standards in daily activities. (EF)
7. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace. (EF)
8. Performs other duties as required.
Bachelor's degree in scientific field.
Experience in Biosafety or Animal related regulatory experience desired.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Skilled at managing multiple projects with conflicting priorities.
Familiarity with animal or basic science research
Knowledge of documentation, regulation and processes for animal research, recombinant material and hazardous substances in research.
Excellent interpersonal skills.
Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
An Activity Checklist (see final page) is attached to this job description.
Generally, work is done in an office or laboratory environment with pleasant working conditions. There is good lighting and ventilation, it is reasonably quiet, and the work hours are reasonably regular.
Houston Methodist - 17 months ago