JOB TITLE: ACE Family Engagement Specialist
REPORTS TO: TBD
JOB GOAL :
To plan, coordinate, and implement a comprehensive family engagement program. The Family Engagement Specialist will target the parents and families of students participating in YES Prep’s After-School Centers on Education (ACE) program. Through ACE, YES Prep will expand before and after-school programming for students and their families at nine schools (Grades 6-12). This is a five-year, grant-funded program and position.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Recruit parents and families to participate in the ACE program;
- Encourage and facilitate parental/family involvement in school;
- Coordinate and/or provide ongoing educational programs to parents and families;
- Identify and develop relationships with community organizations that provide needed services to parents and families;
- Develop strong relationship with ACE Site Coordinators (nine) and assist them in providing ongoing educational programs to parents and families;
- Coordinate efforts with the ACE Project Director;
- Collaborate with and support YES Prep’s existing student support services staff;
- Collaborate with and support YES Prep’s existing parent organizations and networks;
- Maintain regular communication with parents and families participating in the ACE program;
- Conduct needs assessments to determine the types of activities and services families need and want;
- Develop Family Resource Centers at designated schools;
- Promote parent/family and community volunteerism; and
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep’s mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year educational institution (required)
- Fluent in Spanish (preferred but not required)
Skills and Mindsets:
- Minimum two years experience in an educational and/or social work setting
- Experience working with community organizations and social service agencies
- Training and group facilitation experience
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Excellent written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION :
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
Length of Work Year:
- Year-round position
- Evening and weekend commitments will be required
- Five-year, grant-funded position
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES Prep offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
* The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
These students are hooked on higher education. The University of Texas System runs nine universities throughout the Lone Star State with a...