Job Description: Company Overview:|
Sanofi, a diversified global healthcare leader, discovers, develops, and distributes therapeutic solutions to improve the lives of patients. We work to prevent and treat the diseases that we know of today, as well as those we may face tomorrow. With nearly 100,000 dedicated professionals in more than 100 countries, Sanofi is devoted to advancing healthcare around the world. Sanofi NA employs more than 11,400 individuals across the country, concentrated in the Bridgewater, NJ headquarters and offices in Cambridge, MA, along with our vaccines division, Sanofi Pasteur, located in Swiftwater, PA. The North America Pharmaceutical (“NA Pharma”) business is comprised of the US Pharmaceuticals Patient Centered Units which includes Diabetes, Oncology, Cardiovascular, Renal, Biosurgery and Winthrop; the Consumer Healthcare unit—Chattem; and the Canadian pharmaceutical and consumer business. At Sanofi, we work for what really matters: patient health.
This role is an opportunity for a highly talented individual to lead a small team of 2-3 colleagues in defining, along with the VP-Head of Commercial Strategy & Planning and the Executive Committee, the commercial strategy of Sanofi’s NA Pharma business and in executing high profile, business-critical initiatives to realize the strategic objectives. The role will gain exposure to a broad group of senior leaders in the organization and contribute significantly to shaping the future of the NA Pharma business to meet its long-range top and bottom line goals. It will also be responsible for orchestrating a consistent strategic planning process for all Patient Centered Units (PCUs) and will serve as the project management office for all transversal NA Pharma strategic projects.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated strong and successful strategic and operational leadership experience. Candidates with extensive healthcare or consumer products consulting experience from a top-tier consulting firm will also be considered. The candidate needs to understand the dynamics that are shaping the healthcare landscape in the US and to work to translate those into key priorities with the greatest impact on performance. The candidate should have exceptional strategic agility / skills, ability to influence without authority, ability to facilitate complex processes / programs with senior leaders and the ability to marshal an organization in an aligned / agreed direction to specific timelines. The person selected will serve as a strategic partner to the business, providing thought leadership and insight to drive business decisions and outcomes. The ideal candidate must exhibit strong interpersonal and collaboration skills. The individual who will be successful in this role will be set up to go onto broader, more senior strategy roles or operational roles in the Sanofi organization.
Skills & Experience:
- To collaborate and coordinate with executives and team members throughout Sanofi (Global Divisions, Finance, Corporate Strategy, Corporate Affairs, Business Development, PCUs) to develop and lead the planning process for North America Pharmaceuticals.
- To lead and develop the 3 year business plan and annual operating plan for NA Pharmaceuticals in collaboration with functions and leaders throughout the organization and in alignment with the Group financial planning timelines.
- To develop the KPIs required to effectively manage the performance of NA Pharmaceuticals based upon the approved business plan. Work with others to ensure processes and tools are implemented for tracking business plan performance.
- To provide information on the business environment and evolving marketplace trends to the Executive Committee to set management priorities and continually assess NA Pharma’s growth, investment, solutions offering and commercial strategies
- Facilitate identification of the critical issues facing the NA Pharma business and work with the Executive Committee to incorporate them into defining the strategic agenda
- Facilitate the definition of the competitive strengths of the NA Pharmaceuticals business and incorporate plans for building upon them into defining the strategic agenda
- To collaborate with the PCU Teams to set overall PCU strategic ambitions and franchise strategies. Add value to the franchise strategies by providing thought leadership, strategic thinking/planning expertise and insight to drive business decisions and outcomes.
- To be a business partner to the Patient Centered Unit Heads and with Portfolio Investment Leads on strategic business priorities, and support the delivery of these initiatives
- To manage transversal strategic projects to accelerate revenue and profit growth of the North America Pharmaceuticals business
- Collaborate with others to develop and execute a plan to communicate the NA Pharma business strategy
- To collaborate with other regional and global strategy professionals within Sanofi to leverage and share strategic planning and performance learnings
Candidates should have a background that clearly demonstrates the following skills and competencies:
Impact – the ability to:
Communication and Influencing:
- Drive change and tangible business impact, in a matrix organization, even under challenging circumstances
- Develop strategies and translate them into business plans that create tangible business results
- Has an executive presence. Excellent at stakeholder management and is able to drive groups, including senior level groups, to conclusions
- Communicates effectively and persuasively in writing and speech with a broad range of stakeholders, including senior executives
- Effectively facilitates meetings/workshops
- Ability to gain the respect, collaboration and support of cross-functional team-members without line-authority
Strategic & Innovative Thinking:
- Can effectively define/scope projects and propose a structured and practical approach to solving complex and ill-defined problems
- Quickly focuses on the most critical issues and always seeks solutions that create the most value for overall NA Pharma region
- Can synthesize information and trends from many sources to size markets, identify revenue and profit opportunities and define and oversee plans required to realize the opportunities
- Selects from a range of analytic methods to design and conduct analysis appropriate to each project
- Thinks strategically; quickly discerns patterns and trends and understands their implications
- A creative thinker who proactively seeks new and innovative approaches
People management / leadership:
- Independently and simultaneously manages several complex, high-profile projects under tight timelines
- Inspires people and leads teams
Requirements: Educational Requirements:
- Comprehensive understanding of the healthcare, pharmaceutical, consumer products and personal technology industries and trends affecting them, and can leverage this knowledge in the formulation of strategies
Minimum: MBA or other advanced graduate degree, 15 or more years of experience, including at least 5 in a strategic role or management consulting
VP-Commercial Strategy & Planning, NA Pharma
Bridgewater, NJ. (Cambridge, MA will also be considered).
Genzyme - 17 months ago