Qualified candidates committed to supporting WWU students in making effective academic and career decisions are encouraged to apply for this position. Anticipated start date is summer 2013.
About the Department: The Academic Advising Center (AAC) is one of three units within the Academic and Career Development Services department. The AAC works in close collaboration with the department’s other two units, the Career Services Center and the Tutoring Center. AAC staff assist students to develop academic plans consistent with their interests, abilities and aspirations and to utilize available resources to achieve academic success.
- Provide advising to help students navigate university policies and procedures, solve problems and develop critical thinking and independent learning skills
- Provide advising to assist undecided students and students changing majors in developing educational plans, focusing on the relationships between self-knowledge and awareness of academic and career options
- Assist students seeking admission into limited access majors develop effective strategies to meet admission requirements
- Engage in outreach activities with academic departments, other student affairs offices and student groups to promoted integrated academic advising and career planning
- Assist students on academic warning and probation to identify and address factors impeding their academic progress
- Assist in the planning and delivery of academic advising/course registration assistance provided during new student orientation programs
- Provide referrals to university offices and resources as needed
- Conduct workshops/presentations on topics related to academic/career planning as needed
- Assist in the coordination of special events and information fairs
- Assist in the preparation of print information and web content to provide academic advising and career planning resources for students
- Assist students in developing resumes and other job search materials
- Master’s degree (completed by time of employment)
- Minimum of one year successful experience providing academic advising in a higher education setting
- Ability to integrate academic advising and career development issues when assisting students in formulating academic plans
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to give effective presentations
- Ability to work effectively with diverse students, staff and faculty
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, internet
- High degree of professionalism
- Master’s degree in Student Affairs Administration, Counseling, School Counseling or a related field
- Experience developing print or web-based advising resources
- Experience in a centralized college or university advising office
- Knowledge of the needs of high credit Running Start or transfer students and experience providing advising for these students
- Ability to assist students with the development of resumes and other job search materials
Academic Emphasis: N/A
Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
Bargaining Union: Not applicable
Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU’s Electronic System for Employment (EASE) http://www.acadweb.wwu.edu/hr/Employment/index.shtml .
A cover letter and resume are required and may be cut and pasted into the EASE application as noted. Cover letter should address your training and experience as related to the required and preferred qualifications.
Please also include a paragraph sharing your views on the interrelationship of academic and career advising in support of student development.
Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of three professional references, including current or most recent supervisor.
Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter
Western Washington University - 7 months ago
Western Washington University
Western Washington University
- 30+ days ago