UALR Functional Title
Academic Counselor / R97270
The Academic Counselor position is a 12 month staff appointment in Nursing Program. The Academic Counselor is responsible for recruitment, admissions, academic advising, and database management activities for the department.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as student advocate to help ensure student success.
- Develop and maintain applicant and student database.
- Work collaboratively with outside agencies to coordinate enrollment and retention.
- Participate in applicant and student advising.
- Develop and maintain on-line orientation, advising, and retention programs.
- Track student scholarship, enrollment, and progression data.
- Assist with special events and recruitment and retention functions.
- Manage assigned projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft office program including but not limited to Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Ability to create, maintain, and track detailed data bases.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with student, staff, faculty, and outside agencies.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to drive and operate a vehicle.
- Ability to travel within the state.
Required Education and/or Experience
Preferred Education and/or Experience
Experience in higher education setting and experience with complex data base systems is preferred.
Background Check Requirements
05 - Criminal/Sex/Drug
Medium Work - Exerting 20-50 pounds: Frequently, Kneeling: Occasionally, Climbing (Stairs, Ladders, etc.): Daily, Lifting 25-50 lbs: Frequently, Carrying 25-50 lbs: Frequently, Pushing/pulling 25-50 lbs: Occasionally, Sitting for long periods of time: Daily, Standing for long periods of time: Daily, Speaking; Essential, Hearing: Essential, Vision: Ability to distinguish similar colors, depth perception, close vision: Essential, Walking - Short Distances: Daily, Walking - Long Distances; Daily
Spends approximately 75% or more time indoors, Conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin, such as fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Statement
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background, sex offender registry check and drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UALR EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. Persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
The writing sample is to be one page word processed document on the following topic:
What is a University Academic Counselor’s role and responsibility in the areas of student enrollment, progression, and retention?
Applicants need to upload under “Other Documents (as indicated in special instructions to applicant)” a one page word processed document on the following topic:
Briefly explain your experience with your Academic Counselor during your pursuit of your degree and how this individual influenced your educational accomplishments.
University of Arkansas at Little Rock - 21 months ago