An Academic Department Director (ADD) is the principal academic officer for a specific program or programs. Responsibilities include: day-to-day operations, assisting students toward successful program completion and staffing the classroom with instructors who support the mission of the college. The ADD is co-responsible with the Campus Head of Academic Affairs for the fiscal well being of the department as it relates to education. The Director also participates in activities that promote the stature of the department and the college and abides by the mandates set by the Board of Trustees, the President, and the Executive Committee. Incumbent must assure that the EDMC philosophy: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion - is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements
- Provide academic leadership and select, train, develop, manage, and lead faculty and staff team members according to the guidelines provided by the Campus Head of Academic Affairs.
- Provide support to college and community relations activities while planning and implementing a budget including personnel requirements, program expenses, and capital needs.
- Support college programs designed to achieve student completion rates as outlined in the five year strategic plan.
- Collaborate with other Academic Department Directors within own school and across schools: scheduling, sharing faculty, and other.
- Other responsibilities as determined by the Campus Head of Academic Affairs.
Dean of Academic Affairs
Inside contact encompasses the entire range of personnel. Outside contacts may include community and professional leaders as well as other educators.
- Master's degree with a minimum of 3-5 years related experience. Advanced certifications or credits towards further study are highly preferred.
- Held positions of increasingly responsible experience in the industry and/or Academic Affairs.
- Fiscal and personnel management experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong interpersonal skills with supervisor and staff populations.
- Superior organization, prioritization, and self-motivation skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to interact effectively as either a leader or as a member of a team and work collaboratively with other departments.
- Ability to listen to customers (e.g. staff, etc.) and to understand and respond positively to their requests.
- Ability to adapt to changing assignments and multiple priorities.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and successfully meet deadlines.
Work Environment & Notice
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Education Management Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.
The Art Institute of York- Pennsylvania
- 2 years ago - save job